Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fish coating/batter

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AirRaid View Post
    I am in love with the fish crisp Jamaican Jerk
    i second that!! and regardless of what the package says,you can deep fry it.i tried the other day with some crappies left over from the hard water season,mmmm tasty!

and if theres none of that on hand,dry butter milk pancake batter,seasoned or unseasoned..or your favorite crushed up chips are very tasty as well..
    Last edited by bottombouncer; March 29th, 2011 at 07:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

With a party of ten and at least six of us fishing together over the last 22 years we have tried just about everything mentioned except the pastrie flour receipt which we will definitely try this year. Our favorite is Rocky Masden's Beer Batter Fish Crisp.
    The most important part is to have the oil good and hot and don't overcook the fish. We have converted many non fish eaters to fish eaters (especially the young folk) by cutting the fish into bite size pieces before coating and frying. They cook fast and are so delicious. I think it's the extra batter to fish ratio on the small pieces that masks the "fishy taste" for the non fish eaters. You can "ease" them into eating fish and after awhile they'll enjoy it like anyone else. We've especially like doing this in the late evening instead of having the typical popcorn, chips etc. for snacking.
    Mick
    Catch and Release. Obey the Limits. Eat a few small ones.
    Take pics of the big ones. Respect and care for our Outdoors.

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

Guys, mine is never the same as it is made with whatever I grab from the pantry......

We probably at any given time have 5 or 6 different fish batters in the Pantry, seem to pick one up every time I am in a store.

Some of Cronzys batter, some fish crisp ( blue box ) maybe some with a little heat, some bread crumbs, ( sometimes the italian one ) some flour, have now switched to the Brodies xxx and then spices, some mountain house salmon spice, mesquite spice ( I put that %*#@ on everything ) maybe a bit of garlic powder, a little lemon pepper, some Jamacian Jerk, some parsley flakes, sometimes some cracker crumbs, sometimes some corn flake crumbs, put it in a big baggie, shake it up to mix things up and then we put it smaller baggies when we are coating the fish for frying..... Have never once had a complaint about our fish and certainly have converted a lot of people who did not like fish....

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I prefer cracker crumbs over bread they don't burn as easy

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I really like the batter they sell at the bulk food store. It taste just like a batter you would expect from a fish resturant.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

cajun fish crisp

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yellow box no name brand original pancake mix that has cornmeal listed in the ingredients list.
    On it's own as a dry batter or mixed with beer for a wet batter. Just awesome!!!
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I usually use chronzeys batter, but tried this stuff the other day; Canadian Classic Fish Fry I had the lemon and herb but saw there was original and cajun also... It was awesome and the bag was huge! it will go a long ways

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I use panko

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Plain instant oatmeal, garlic powder, salt and pepper. You got to try it. Great on chicken fingers too.