Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about my PAL-Hunters card

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm not sure you need a PAL to get the hunting card H1. You do not need a PAL to own a Bow, what if you only bow hunted. SO you should only need the hunter safety course.
    Last edited by greatwhite; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

the H1 is the hunting license allowing hunting with guns and bows....the H2 is bows only hunting license.
    you don't need the PAL to hunt only with a bow. nor do you need an H1 to hunt only with bows.
    if you only bow hunt you only need to take the hunter education course and get the H2. no PAL/firearms safety. however, there is i believe an additional 2-3 hours of bow hunting safety info that gets tacked onto the hunter ed course for those only taking the H2.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 2008-09 Hunting regs

Thought this may be helpful. I cut and paste it from page 20 of the 2008-2009 Ontario Hunting regulations summary.

Also, thanks for bringing this up. Me and 3 friends did our combination course in October. We're all at various stages of getting our outdoors cards and PALs. In filling out all the forms and complying with all the rules this relatively small but signifranct detail was overlooked by more than one of us. At least 2 of my friends purchsed their 3 year small game tag and outdoor card prior to getting their PAL. I believe both now need to get their outdoors card upgraded to H1. I will be going home tonight to check my paper copy (I had an existing outdoors card. ebcause I am upgrading it from fishing only to hunting and fishing I have to use a paper version until they issue me a new card in December) to make sure that it indicates H! and not H2.

As promised here's the reg text on the issue:

Class H1 Outdoors Card
    The H1 card permits the cardholder to hunt with all methods
    permitted under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act,
    1997 (FWCA). Applicants for this version of Outdoors Card
    will have to provide documentation that they have passed
    both the Ontario Hunter Education Course exam and the
    Canadian Firearms Safety Course exam. These courses are
    normally delivered in a “One-Stop” combined course,
    however both courses are available independently if desired.
    “One-Stop” graduates will meet provincial training requirements
    to hunt and the federal training requirements for
    firearms possession, acquisition and ownership.
    Any person with a hunting version of Ontario Outdoors Card,
    Ontario Hunting Licence or Hunter Education Exam Report
    indicating a pass issued after January 1, 1968, and before
    January 1, 2006, will be eligible for the H1 Outdoors Card.
    Class H2 Outdoors Card
    The H2 card permits the cardholder to hunt with all methods
    permitted under the FWCA except guns. Applicants for this
    version of the Outdoors Card will have to provide documentation
    that they have passed the Ontario Hunter Education
    Course exam.

BigAl

So if you had a FAC before 2006 when they changed it to PAL, but did not renew to PAL then the hunter will get an H1 issued? But, now to posses, aquire or otherwise obtain a firearm or ammunition,the hunter will need to apply for a PAL?

What is needed to aquire a PAL so the hunter can legally posses or purchase firearms or ammunition?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Al,

I can't speak to the requirements if you're moving from an FAC to PAL. If you go the the Cnadian Firearms Centre website there is a ton of information there that would probably be useful.

You almost have to be a lawyer to navigate all the rules and regulations. I'd hate to think I could have been charged with poaching/illegal hunting/improper licence not because I was hunting without proper tags, but becasue 2 levels of government can't communicate resulting in a "2" instead of a "1" on my outdoors card.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

from FAC to PAL you can challenge the exam without taking the course. talk to an instructor in your area about doing this (www.ohep.net)

i have family doing this right now, and they've had the FAC so long they're opting to take the course to get through all the picky details of the ACTS and PROVE and rules and regs.

and i'm going to stop posting now because it looks like i want to increase my post count!!!! ;-P
    hope this helps people....
    k

BigAl

Quote Originally Posted by RJB31 View Post
    Al,

I can't speak to the requirements if you're moving from an FAC to PAL. If you go the the Cnadian Firearms Centre website there is a ton of information there that would probably be useful.

You almost have to be a lawyer to navigate all the rules and regulations. I'd hate to think I could have been charged with poaching/illegal hunting/improper licence not because I was hunting without proper tags, but becasue 2 levels of government can't communicate resulting in a "2" instead of a "1" on my outdoors card.

Thanx RJB31. They have issued me an H1 Outdoors card, but I will have to obtain a PAL. I will check the site...I am glad I have kept 1 half of the license valid...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Holy mackeral - I'm glad that I don't have to hunt in Canada anymore (I lived there many years ago)- here in the Pa. I have a lifetime license and that's it - can hunt with anything except a machine gun or mortar - sounds like they (liberal politicans) want to discourage you for hunting - how did you ever let that happen! - JoePa

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I don't know why they are making a big deal out of it. Seems like a ton of work for nothing. A hunting licence should be the same across the board.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Yep WLLady is right and after you get through all of that crap then you can go get your card updated for the turkey hunting season which means your HI card also has to have a "T" on it which is after the H1 on your outdoorcard. This part is easy because by now you should be used to dealing with both Federal and Provincial "Turkeys" ------that is after taking the turkey hunting seminar. Good Luck. Swiftfox

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast