Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where you can and cannot hunt on Sunday.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Where you can and cannot hunt on Sunday.

I am not afraid to admit it. I messed up and the feeling it left me with I almost quit. You see, Saturday I took my map that I purchased online and searched out for the Nonquon Forest that I was advised to go to. Finding it and all the entrances and parking areas, I planned to do a gear check on Sunday. Arriving full of great feelings,(my first ever venture into the woods as a hunter) I got on all my hunting paraphernalia, grabbed my gun (I got an 1952 O. F.Mossberg 185k- B 20 gauge bolt action semi two shell clip that looks brand new and is hefty) and went into the forest. What a high! Finally I was in my world. Kids all grown up and now its my time! There was one grey squirrel( we got tons where I live) and I scared a plump little grouse who squawked at my intrusion. I guess she new I was a rookie! As I hiked along I noticed old camp fire sites with lots of beer cans. I guess hunting can be like fishing. Heading back I ran into some hunters. I also heard the rapport of shotguns. Were water fowlers about, I wondered.
    Upon finishing that section of the forest I decided to go to Durham 12 to see what was going on up there. After hiking for about 2 hours and hiding in the bush to see more wildlife, I finally came to linkup to the spot I was from the other entrance. It being late, wife called for me to come and do some chores, I headed back. I opened the van and started to meticulously put all my stuff away. I heard hunting clothes have to be apart to control scent. Looking up I see coming down the road was a big black pickup truck. Inside this truck was a Conservation Officer in uniform with I guess was an undercover one in street clothes. That is went it all went sour. He asked for my papers, driver's license, to look in the back of my van and then finally my firearm. Then he wanted to see my orange vest and hat. All the while he explained about complaints about Sunday hunting but I didn't catch on until in the end I got a $180.00 fine for carrying a firearm in the Nonquon Forest contrary to a municipal bylaw. The officer was nice and told me the onus was on my to already know! I was stunned. Now I have to ask to phone a prosecutor to get a lesser fine by 15 days. The signs say Enjoy, Respect and Use firearms for hunting only. This is like a county speed trap! What would it take to post a no hunting on Sunday sign? I am a religious man, taking God's creatures as God commands our care and dominion over all his creatures. If someone hates hunting why live in a hunting area? Subsequently I called up Steve at The Ganaraska Forest which I recently joined and found out hunting is a no-no in the West Forest on Sundays. Clarington bylaw. So its The Nonquon Forest on Saturdays along with the West Forest of Ganaraska and The East Forests of Ganaraska Forest on Sundays. Bow hunting is ok believe it or not everywhere everyday. I guess its not a firearm? I asked a staff member at the Lindsay beer store about reception I would get from landowners in Kawarthas. His answer to me was that they are not very receptive due to the trash and damage left behind. seems 97 % drink alcohol and hunt!
    I am going to try another approach. Ill bring ten garbage bags with me in the spring, I can help them at the farm as I am an electrician and can do a lot of other things, a big friendly smile, some gift cards, share my kill and a dry and clean camp left behind. After all its a privilege and not a right. It worked for me fishing.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Just starting out

User Info Menu

ok and thanks

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Don't take it too hard Vantera. you sound like a good guy that made an honest mistake. There's a lot to learn about hunting. It's not as easy as buying a gun and heading into the woods as you've found out. It's not a popular sport in a lot of areas.

The Province should man up and declare Sunday hunting across the province. They don't mind ramming windmills down our throat. Why the municipal control on Sunday hunting.

Dan O.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We all make mistakes and it takes a man to admit it. But on the other hand we have to live with this NO Sunday hunting Bull Sh&t in some places that we hunt. One place that I hunt, across the street you aloud to hunt its a sunday spot, on the other side of the street you can't it doesn't make sense. So my advice to you would be to take a look at the sunday hunting maps and try to reverence it to where you plan to hunt. Then if you have more questions call the municipal for there gun bylaws. Good luck and don't give up
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Don't take it to hard as it sounds like an honest mistake but the onus is on US to make sure we are in compliance with all the rules and regs even though they may be tricky to decipher or don't make sense. Don't give up ,take your lumps and move on.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Within about 1 1/2 miles of my driveway I can be in four different WMUs or No Discharge zones. A wounded doe could really cause problems ( three zones within 1/2 mile).
    After starting my hunting life around Burkton, Blackstock, fifty plus years ago this area is easy to navigate. Keep exploring, with and without your gun...
    My buddy at the time also carried a bolt action 20..... Killed everything he shot at
    Last edited by Pat32rf; November 11th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

mistakes happen. I am not afraid to admit I made a few mistakes like that early on, I just didn't get caught and I learned from them.

There are a few pieces of homework you must do before hunting anywhere, and as mentioned the onus is always on the hunter to make sure that you are playing by the rules.

what I do is in conjunction with that Sunday Gun Hunting map posted above, I use municipal bylaws/ maps and google earth. sometime by laws are not published on line, but you can email the municipal office for information if you cannot find it.
    one thing to keep in mind is that google earth/ maps does not always portray the true municipality when you do the "whats here" function. sometimes if it is close to a boundary it will list it as the wrong municipality. this is why I always cross reference with municipal maps as well. The good thing about small game hunting (I think that's what you were doing) is that once you find spots you can continue using them over and over, but a lot of time with waterfowl hunting in fields, you are looking around different areas to find land. I have become fairly proficient with finding the information I need, but it sure did take me a while. I have plans to put up a map in my garage with all my hunting spots and listing sunday or no sunday hunting, and opening dates etc, but I haven't got around to this yet,

good luck, but don't beat yourself up about it, just move on and take it as a lesson to do some more homework before you head out next time.

I also think they should make sunday hunting available everywhere, I work 9-5 M-F and some places around me do not have sunday hunting, and it sucks.
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In most of southern Ontario, Sunday hunting is a new activity. We would drive for hours to get over to Renfrew county for a two day hunting weekend....

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Sunday gun hunting is mired in a few different traditions so to speak. Keeping the lord's day was a big part of it. Now it's easy for the townships to say it is for safety.

Not directly related, but I read in an American hunting magazine about the Sunday gun hunt debate in Pennsylvania (I think). It wasn't cut and dried, hunters versus antis. Some of the people wanting to keep the no Sunday hunting were hunters, however many of them were retired or wealthy enough that they didn't need to hunt on Sundays.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast