Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wild pigs in s ontario

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

We used to see them in the bruce all the time, the land owner had pics of them at his deer feeders. I had there tracks in my bears baits and have seen pics of hogs that locals have taken. The mnr send letters to land owner saying they are fair game and to take em out.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LadyinRed View Post
    A couple of years ago I had dinner at a fancy shmancy restaurant in Niagara Falls and they had Ontario wild boar on the menu. The menu said the boars were provided to the restaurant by a local hunter. I just assumed that there were feral pigs in places around here. Likely farm escapees.
    Isn't it illegal to sell wild game from Ontario?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gt80 View Post
    I believe it is as all meat sold at a restaurant has to come from a government inspected abatoir

Hawaiian Barbecue Rules!!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gt80 View Post
    It was ilegal at one time,then someone decided to start a wildgame farming assoc. and convince our cash strapped Ministry to ok it. I was down to one of these farm's last month, (white tail farm) and it is pretty sickening to see our wild deer penned up like this. They also sell the meat in there store, then the MNR preaches on how to stop CWD and then they allow , what a joke.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampdogger View Post
    It was ilegal at one time,then someone decided to start a wildgame farming assoc. and convince our cash strapped Ministry to ok it. I was down to one of these farm's last month, (white tail farm) and it is pretty sickening to see our wild deer penned up like this. They also sell the meat in there store, then the MNR preaches on how to stop CWD and then they allow , what a joke.
    In this situation, could you really call it 'wild' game though even though it was farmed? In the previous post, they talked about selling a wild boar donated by a hunter.....I'm pretty sure you can't do that legally per se. You can give it away but you can't sell it.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

When wild boar game farms were legal in ON, Picton used to have a wild boar hunting property, it was approx. 100 acres and the boars were 150lbs +. Be careful when approaching wild boars, they were very aggressive and did not hesitate to attack a hunter with their tusks. They charged like a rhino, ran in a straight line to attack and did not give up until dead. Even though "fenced" hunting is controvertial, it was something I found very exciting and difficult. It was not as easy as the anti's want you to believe, we hunted 200lb boar in over 100 acre cedar bush with archery, no guns!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If there is no mention of them ( wild pigs) , in the regs. does that mean you can shoot them?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default pigs!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    Yes there is some " escapees " in Picton. More down the south end of the county.
    You guys want to see pigs, we have the highest concentration of pigs in Canada!! I see them every day. Just follow bank st till you come to parliament hill, the place is just crawling with them

Member for Life

User Info Menu

haven't seen the new regs yet but they have never been classed as wild game in the past...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Wishy View Post
    The ministry put them in to control the courgars that are controlling the turkeys.

LMAO!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast