Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Sucker

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Canned Sucker

Heres a recipe i do every spring with suckers.

For one pint jars, add:

2 tabelspoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

You can use a pressure canner at 10 psi for 90 minutes, or the way i do it is the "water bath" method. Put all jars in a big pot, fill with water to cover the lids. Just finger tighten the lids so pressure can escape and not blow up the jars. Bring this to a boil and once boiled, simmer for 3.5-4 hours.

Im eating a sucker sandwhich as we speak, thats what made me think of this. I went out this past weekend and netted a couple 5 gallon pails of suckers, and i think im going to get some more. I ended up with 20 pounds of canned meat, but i still have about 15 jars left. Im aiming to fill those up as well.

If you've never tried canned sucker, you're missing out!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Monkey Island Refugee

User Info Menu

I've heard that this is really good....would love to try it sometime!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are both redhorse and white suckers good to eat? I thought only redhorse ones were the good ones.
    Epper si muove. - Gallileo Gallilei

FM

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes, they are both good. Last year at my other netting place we got a mix of redhorse and white sucker. This year i netted only white sucker in the creek beside my camp. They are both fantastic.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

If only they had a more appetizing name, LOL! I know they are sometimes marketed as mullet, but really, that isn't much better

Glad you're enjoying your catch!
    Girl Gone Wild

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LadyinRed View Post
    If only they had a more appetizing name, LOL! I know they are sometimes marketed as mullet, but really, that isn't much better

Glad you're enjoying your catch!
    You can call them whistling trout if that makes it more appetizing.
    They have an amazing whistle.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

.........and they are plentiful. They say there is a sucker born every minute!

Moose on the Brain

User Info Menu

I'll try anything once.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Never tried suckers

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

how do you prepare the suckers, filleted and skinned or scaled and chunked. I remember my grandmother used to have canned suckers. I think they were in chunks with the bone in. The cooking and vineger softened the bones. I don't think they had ketchup then, so likely just vineger. I was young at the time , but remember my dad and others going to Collingwood to I think the batta river. At that time they used spears. They might have a couple of feed bags full. Then there was a lot of canning to do. Old 243

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast