Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canned Sucker

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter300 View Post
    Heres a recipe i do every spring with suckers.

For one pint jars, add:

2 tabelspoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

You can use a pressure canner at 10 psi for 90 minutes, or the way i do it is the "water bath" method. Put all jars in a big pot, fill with water to cover the lids. Just finger tighten the lids so pressure can escape and not blow up the jars. Bring this to a boil and once boiled, simmer for 3.5-4 hours.

Im eating a sucker sandwhich as we speak, thats what made me think of this. I went out this past weekend and netted a couple 5 gallon pails of suckers, and i think im going to get some more. I ended up with 20 pounds of canned meat, but i still have about 15 jars left. Im aiming to fill those up as well.

If you've never tried canned sucker, you're missing out!
    Very interesting, I sure would like to try that. What's the taste and texture like? I've heard all canned fish tastes like salmon.
    The one area I know around here at Clayton is a sanctuary in the spring so that's out. If any one knows any other spots where they run around here it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LadyinRed View Post
    If only they had a more appetizing name, LOL! I know they are sometimes marketed as mullet, but really, that isn't much better

Glad you're enjoying your catch!
    They do have a more appetizing name... "Northern Canadian freshwater red mullet"! Sold as whole frozen fish in many discount stores like no frills.
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12