Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking fish

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default smoking fish

Hey all.

Here is what I use and have tried on most fish and I love it. So do many others and they bring me fish to smoke for them when I fire up my smoker.

The following workes out to an average size side of salmon from the super store (or others like it) for a $20 flank.

I get a 450 or 500ML bottle of soy sauce and put it in a large pot.
    Add 1L of water
    100ML of Honey
    4 or 5 table spoons of VH brand "sweet chili Thai"
    either a had full of hot pepper rings or 2 small jalapeno peppers (cut to rings)
    Let simmer but not boil.
    Cool and then put fish in a container with enough brine to cover and the rest goes into a spray bottle.
    Let fish sit in the brine for 24 hours in the fridge.
    heat smoker and get the smoke going and add fish at 180 to 200* C
    The wood chips I soak for 12 to 24 hours too and when I do fish it's 1/2 apple and 1/2 black cherry. with my propane smoker I'm done in 2 to 3.5 hrs depending on the thickness of the meat. I open the door from time to time to make sure the smoke is going good and when I do this I give the fish a little squirt/spray/mist of the brine I made (prior to the fish going in it, I keep some aside as mentioned before) so the meat is moist and has a lot of ALL flavors used.
    Good luck! Cheers.
    Geoff

Here are some pic's for you...

Some like it done to this:

Others like it done to this, more of a jerkey type;
    Wishin' I was fishin'

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

i have a quick question can you smoke fish by just seasoning with just salt garlic cayanne ect and no sweet stuff because my dad and most of my family is diabetic and im hoping to smoke trout next spring because this summer was crazy buzy and didnt do enough fishing

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

yes you can. there are a bunch of ways you can prep the fish. dry, brine, plane... it's all a matter of what kind of taste you are after. this is why I use the two different woods too.
    Wishin' I was fishin'

Apprentice

User Info Menu

getting a smoker next weekend. can't wait to try this. thanks!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brandonweller View Post
    i have a quick question can you smoke fish by just seasoning with just salt garlic cayanne ect and no sweet stuff because my dad and most of my family is diabetic and im hoping to smoke trout next spring because this summer was crazy buzy and didnt do enough fishing
    Most definitely, nothing more than 2 tablespoons of kosher(pickling salt) per whole dry fillet. Let it sit in the fridge for about 8-12 hours, the salt will remove some of the meat moisture and prevent bacterial growth. rinse of the salt or what's left of it, pat dry, into the smoker and puff away. That's the real smoked fish.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
    getting a smoker next weekend. can't wait to try this. thanks!
    good luck and enjoy.
    Wishin' I was fishin'

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I smoke whitefish salmon and trout now it's so good

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We use a salt brine coarse salt with 2 cans of coke cola, soda pop, soy sauce, 4 litres of water Brown sugar, Brine Fish for 24 hours, lightly rinse and then air dry the salmon fillets or trout a few hours, Smoker at 180 with a fruit tree chips your choice apple or cherry, Lay pieces onto racks and we brush pure maple syrup onto all the fish. This grabs the smoke and we always smoke at least 6 hours, Keep brushing maple syrup on to keep things moist. Maple Candy Salmon - MMM Good

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Seems like a good recipe GBW but I have a question. Do you not let the fish air dry to form a pellicle first, or did you just forget to mention that in your post?

Cheers

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Most definitely, nothing more than 2 tablespoons of kosher(pickling salt) per whole dry fillet. Let it sit in the fridge for about 8-12 hours, the salt will remove some of the meat moisture and prevent bacterial growth. rinse of the salt or what's left of it, pat dry, into the smoker and puff away. That's the real smoked fish.
    If you like fish that's pretty much all you have to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast