Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First attempt at smoking fish

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

smoking 1.jpgsmoking 2.jpgSo I decided to try my luck at smoking some rainbow a friend of mine dropped off to me. I started with frozen fillets and then did a dry brine in course sea salt and brown sugar. I glazed the fish with maple syrup and then applied the dry brine. I let it sit for 12 hours and then rinsed the fillets to prepare for drying. I smoked at about 200f with mesquite in the bbq for almost 2 hours then finished it off in the oven for another 20min. It turned out really good but IMO it was a little to salty.

My question is for you smoking enthusiast. Does a dry brine or wet brine retain more salt in the fish. I would be willing to sacrifice the shelf life of the fish in order to not have a sodium induced heart attack. Also I could only get my hands on the mesquite at the time when shopping, does the wood make a difference in the salt retention in the fish?

Thanks for any help to this. Can't wait to try a second time.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I had salty fish the first time I tried smoking. You need to rinse the fish off after brining and allow it to dry before smoking it. The rinsing off gets rid of the real saltiness.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

There are some interesting articles on smoking fish on SalmonUniversity:

http://salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

The first one covers dry brining.

Some good articles about fishing the Great Lakes too, if you like that kind of stuff
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123