Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at smoking fish

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default First attempt at smoking fish

I decided to try and smoke a smaller Rainbow I caught from a lake close to Bancroft.
    I made a brine with water, salt, and brown sugar. Let it sit in the fridge over night.
    I used my Weber charcoal grill. A small amount of sugar maple charcoal on one side of the grill with soaked cherry/apple wood chips. Placed the fish on the opposite side of the grill (skin side down) for about 2 hrs.

It tasted great! I'm now on a mission to smoke everything!
    I assume Brook Trout or Splake would be good too?
    Would Lake Trout or Walleye be a good fish to smoke?
    Anyone have any other quick tips?

Any difference in flavor between a wet brine and a dry?

Too bad Salmon don't run in Bancroft. (always the fish market)
    Last edited by Angler; May 22nd, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Fatty or Oily Fish are much better in the smoker - Trout, Salmon, Whitefish. Pickeral and Pike are not as good because of their lack of fat, dries them out "Too-Much" in the smoker.

MC

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hey bud just saw this! I too tried smoking fish for the first time this February, and here are the results/steps... you can definetely smoke brook trout, lakers, rainbows, splake, whitefish, herring, and like MC said all fatty fish. I have also heard of smoking pike and walleye up north, but it is less common... IMO beer batter is the only way to go on the lean white fleshed fish like walleye.

the fish, some specs

the brining, i am no expert, but as far as I know most use an wet brine.

drying (fan dried)

the final result, maple-scotch whiskey glazed smoked brook trout

for my first time the results where pretty good, but i under smoked them because like you i used a charcoal grill, but it was a small one(the size of the webber mini) and i couldnt get enough smoke without it getting too hot, ideally you want to keep the temps bellow 180-200 degrees C or the fish releases its fat and you get white spots... my buddy has a nice smoker, but i didnt want to give up half my fish, only had around 4lbs so my cheapness cost me this time... lol but a good learning experience! got everything right but the smoke.

heres a link to indian candy, amazing stuff, went out to simcoe for lakers the near the closer but because the ice was breaking coulndt get any lakers to make candy, next year or this spring! btw you dont need all the maple syrup he uses, that would be pretty pricey, you can use brown sugar instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8
    Last edited by intothedeep; April 21st, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Man that looks sooooo good , Im a huge fan of smoked lakers or anny trout for that mater ,but befor they shut down the sturgeon catch up here I tried it smoked and it is fantastic.. I realy need to learn this art.. A friend of ours had a huge smoker made from a piece of culvert, with racks in it and worked great ..

A Ray
    :moose: Live for the adventure, half the fun is getting there !! :fish:

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would hate to take a beautiful speck and toss it into a smokey dungeon lol. Goes down much better on the BBQ lol.

I love smoked pike. I've never tried smoked lakers so i cant compare, but smoked pike is great. You have to watch to make sure you dont dry it out, but i've done it a few times and never had a problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Years ago I knew a guy who used corn cobs to smoke fish. It was great, but he had his own secret recipe for brine too.
    Girl Gone Wild

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have been smoking Fish for a while know and by Far Rainbows(steelheads) and Salmon are bar none the best then comes lakers and whitefish..but the best way it make a brine of white sugar/brown sugar salt add some seasonings like montreal steak spice and soak that in the fridge over night...Then make a mixture of brown sugar and maple syrup(aunt Jamima syrup will work just as good for far less of a cost)...mix like a thick mud and put on filet let sit on rack for a couple hours then douce the tops of filets with brown sugar and smoke time and heat are for your preference as some like it a little more dry and some like it moist cooking times will vary on size of filet too.I use a Bradley smoker and use a variety of smoke pucks one hickory next will be apple,cherry and etc etc and with what flavors I have...I usually heat too around 180 degrees for around 4 hrs and this is my variation of Indian Candy.... I have friends that bring me fish to smoke regularly where my fee is I get half...and in the end everyone has always been happy...Try this it wont dissapoint... <')))><

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Smoking any meat is an art,Grew up on a farm we're we did all butchering/smoking.Now one thing that I'll tell you guys,smoked beef vs smoked pork no difference in taste.Smoked Salmon vs smoked Trout no difference..the difference is the texture of the meat,i could fool any one of you's between trout or sucker

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I was using wet brine for five years until last year, but I have been reading quiet a bit about it and now switched to dry brine. 50%salt/50%sugar plus some herbs and I like it a lot. It doesn't take as much space in the fridge, I can taste the herb a lot more and it dry out the fish a lot more too. I'm not sure how much you read about brine but the salt is supposed to remove the moisture from the fish and add the herbs flavor to it. So soaking the fillet in wet brine doesn't make much sense to me anymore (even so I was used to do it and to enjoy it). Also I tried something different last time, I smoked a 10lbs lake trout for only an hour and a half at 180deg with lots of smoke. I got something like the smoked salmon you get at restaurant, kind of cold smoked.
    I thing sure about smoking fish it's that there are a lot of things to try and don't forget to keep track of you do because I found it difficult to do the exact same thing twice (like the brine, amount of smoke, and so on...).
    Have fun smoking !!!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The quick and easy method that IVe found is cover the whole piece or pieces of fish in brown sugar and let it sit for about an hour. This will pull out a large portion of moisture from the fish. Then wash the fish just enough to get the now liquid sugar off and pat dry with paper towl. Have half of your BBQ on medium and put the fish on the other half. Then with what ever smoke chips you like put them in a smoke tin or wrap a bunch up with tinfoil, poke a hole in the top and put in on the side on the BBQ thats turned on. Even a big piece of salmon will only take 20- 30 min.

I like doing it this was and the tradisional by but this was is much faster and my wife likes the the fish alot more this way and it doent loose all of its moisture but tastes almost identical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast