Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Weight

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Gaining Weight

That topic may sound a bit misleading however let me explain.

Misty has dropped in weight to the point that her boney hips are showing. We've had her vet-checked and he did blood work and treated her for possible worms however - everything came back great. Pre-deer season last year she was 50 lbs, she looked great and athletic/muscular, etc. Now, she looks like an advertisement for "feed the starving dog" commercials.

The vet just suggested, obviously, feeding her the dog food from his office, and increasing her carbohydrates - breads, pasta, rice, etc. and increasing the amount of dry food she gets a day. We're putting down 3.5 cups of dry a day and she never eats that much - she might eat half.

We feed her this: http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/P...g/MEDIUM-Adult

She started losing weight when my daughter was hospitalized about a month ago, my daughter was in the hospital for three weeks - my wife stayed with her, and so I could continue to work my other kids went to stay with their grandmother down the road. Misty seemed really depressed for this whole period, she stills seems "down", but the vet seems to think she's fine.

Ok - all that out of the way. Any suggestions for weight gain? A customer at the vet office I spoke with while waiting to see the doctor mentioned "Satin Balls", thoughts on this?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can't compare cups of dog food. The caloric value of one cup of a certain dog food doesn't equal the caloric value of another cup of dog food. If my dog was a bad as you're seeing , I would go with the high caloric vet food if possible - I know it's expensive- until the weight is back, or see below.

example:

30/20 Pro Pac High Perf: 572 Kcal/cup
    30/20 Eukanuba High Perf: 384 Kcal/cup
    24/20 SportMix(Black Bag): 552Kcal/cup
    24/20 Loyall High Perf: 379Kcal/cup

** Royal Canin medium ... 336 K/cup.... low for putting on weight- depending on the amount of exercise the dog is getting. Would probably be enough for a couch potato to put on weight.

** Pro Plan Performance .. 475 K.cup.... what I feed.. about $53.00 per 13 kg which you can compare to your vet food. Ask the vet how many K/cup in his/her food.

As you know I'm sure, switch over slowly starting at 1:4 (old food) to avoid diarrhea.

(Dogs do eat less in the hot months. )

satin balls recipe:They do put weight on normally.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourcei....0.L7wa7NY3hqI
    Last edited by Sharon; July 7th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have used the satin balls recipe many times after one of my female's had a litter of pups. This is in my opinion the best way to put weight back on a under weight dog. Easy to digest and fast absorption into the system for faster weight gain.
    Last edited by yellow dog; July 7th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

and it's not just the calories, cardboard has calories too, so it's digestible calories.
    add fat, may be peanut butter.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have talked to someone I know quite well who works for royal canin, and they mentioned that the have vets on staff that you are able to speak with that would be able to make recommendations based on your current feeding regimen.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I would just switch from royal canin. Your Dog is a hardworking athlete. It needs better fuel.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vom Dufenshmirtz View Post
    and it's not just the calories, cardboard has calories too, so it's digestible calories.
    add fat, may be peanut butter.
    True.
    Hilarious blog on non - digestible calories:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1437021
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

User Info Menu

Do the satin ball's recipe you won't regret it I guarantee it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Fat is the key. Fat packs more energy than any other source -- that's why our own bodies use it to store pizza and beer.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

User Info Menu

I like the pizza and beer recipe better Welsh. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast