Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Lab breeder near Kingston Ontario

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Found my pro trainer in the states for my springer who has forty plus years of training and breeding success. I would think to be fair to the U.S that alot more people are into the dog training business than in Canada mainly because of population base. I found my trainer through my Ontario breeder who didn't know of any pro spaniel trainers in Ontario.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

There are numerous dog trainers here in Ontario. Some claim to be able to deal with a broad range of dogs, some more specific. The trainers Ebenezer was referring to , I have known for over 30 years. They are specific to retrievers and have long lists of successes. That is not to say that someone new can't come along and offer their services but best to check and check out thoroughly as has been said previously.
    YD...we have no professional spaniel trainers in the province.....I'm surprised......

User Info Menu

Yes so am I.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    I found my trainer through my Ontario breeder who didn't know of any pro spaniel trainers in Ontario.
    There are indeed no pro spaniel trainers in Ontario. I'm not very surprised -- pointing dogs and retrievers are much more popular.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

User Info Menu

Yes they are more popular Welsh but why ? I wish I would of gotten a Spaniel years ago they are so much fun and a fantastic family pet.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I know not why. But no pro trainers with no demand ... as I understand it, not even the top spaniel trainers in the country are pros.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

User Info Menu

Cass you need to become a pro trainer because I am too old to become one ! lol

Elite Member

User Info Menu

LOL it certainly would be a dream job YD but I think welsh hit the nail on the head - no demand. Certainly couldn't leave my career now to train spaniels hahaha. Who knows, maybe in a few years the focus will shift from versatiles back to flushers. For me a spaniel makes sense - specifically the way it hunts and its size. If size was not a factor though when I got mine I would have bought a lab. In time I may still get a lab, but knowing how much fun spaniels are now I think I'm hooked. Pretty excited for fall hunting... and I think we may jump in on a trial as well. Unfortunately I cannot compete in any hunt tests this summer due to work but I do hope to enter some trials this fall as long as everything goes as planned. I do not think I will run him in puppy though - might as well play with the big boys. Just gotta work on honoring.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ebenezer View Post
    By the number of pros in the States it looks like just about anyone can hang out their shingle. The pros in the retriever game here in Ontario have been in the game for a great many years and have the successes to back up their programmes. Like anything you need to do your research when picking a pro just like you do with a breeder.
    I sometimes wonder why so few pro's exist here in Ontario. I'm surprised that more young trainers don't see the possibility of a career here. It's a tough road for sure, but the smart ones get on the right path and eventually do pretty good for themselves, if they are truly dedicated.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

So who is training Frank O'Grady's springers for him then ?

TD

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast