Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Air Rifle

do you need a license for an air rifle?, also can i shoot squirrels and racoons in my backyard legally without a license?, thanks for any info!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yes if it shoots over 500 fps.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Before you do anything else it depends where you live and if there are shooting bylaws.
    Eat Moose......12000 wolves can't be wrong!:moose:

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

An air rifle with enough power to humanely kill raccoons is a rare thing, and would be powerful enough to be classed as a firearm, which means you need a PAL to have it. You would also need a hunting license for raccoons,squirrels, etc plus you would not be able to shoot that air rifle in town. Of course if you live in a town the size of Detlor this may not really be a problem( unless you have a nosy neighbour)... If you live anywhere near the GTA however, you could wind up having the local SWAT team over for coffee

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Like the previous posts have said the simple answer is YES to all FOUR of your questions

The less simple and more informative answers are

1) Yes you will need your PAL for the air rifle..
    The reason is that to be powerful enough to humanly kill the raccoon you will need an air rifle with a muzzle velocity
    in excess of 1000FPS( .177/4.5mm) or 900FPS (.22/5.5mm and larger)

2) You can shoot Squirrels in your back yard legally, If you do not live where there is a discharge by-law against it.
    Maximum Range is 40yards or less because of the size of your target.

3) You can shoot Raccoons in your back yard legally, If you do not live where there is a discharge by-law against it.
    Maximum range is about 10 to 15yards or LESS and a .177 is only good for a square on head shot.

This is where it gets complicated

4a) To Hunt Squirrels you must have a Small Game License. There must be an Open season for the animal
    you are hunting. You may only hunt Fox Squirrels( The black and grey ones), you can NOT hunt Red Squirrels..

4b) To hunt Raccoons you must have a Small Game License. There must be an Open season for the animal
    you are hunting.

4c) As a Landowner you may shoot( Notice I did not say hunt) Squirrels and Raccoons that are damaging your Property.
    If you are shooting them because of damage you had also better know the right Section of the Fish and Wildlife Act.
    Also because I think you live in a Town or city this not really an option for you.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Fox squirrels are different then Eastern Grey squirrels and Black squirrels are actually the Eastern Grey squirrel, they are just a colour phase. Red squirrels are tiny and are listed as a fur bearing animal, although it would take quite a few to make a coat and it would not be all that warm.
    As noted above you need a hunting license to hunt any of the things you mentioned hunting in town, everyone else has already mentioned the by-law question, you will need to call and confirm the by-laws in your area.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

At one point in a past life I had my SW try on a red squirrel coat at furrier in Toronto. Yes it did take many pelts ( well over 100 ) to make a rather pricey coat, but it was just as warm as the red fox coat we finally decided on.... Pity the coat " shrunk" as she had our family...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Fox squirrels are different then Eastern Grey squirrels and Black squirrels are actually the Eastern Grey squirrel, they are just a colour phase. Red squirrels are tiny and are listed as a fur bearing animal, although it would take quite a few to make a coat and it would not be all that warm.
    As noted above you need a hunting license to hunt any of the things you mentioned hunting in town, everyone else has already mentioned the by-law question, you will need to call and confirm the by-laws in your area.
    The full name is a Eastern Fox squirrel, but I did not mention Gray squirrels.

Should look like the Reg's

Squirrel Seasons for Residents and Non-Residents
    Gray (Black), Fox
    Last edited by Snowwalker; November 7th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Also...raccoons are fur bearing mammals and as such if their pelt is of value you may not allow it to spoil.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    The full name is a Eastern Fox squirrel, but I did not mention Gray squirrels.

Should look like the Reg's

Squirrel Seasons for Residents and Non-Residents
    Gray (Black), Fox

You mentioned the "black and grey ones" or Eastern Grey , ha ha ha.

I have honestly never seen a fox squirrel, I understand they are way down in SW Ontario, never hunted squirrels outside the of KW region (farm land of course).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast