Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Firstly, this does NOT fall under hunting laws IF you are dealing with animals that are damaging your property and you taking care of them yourself.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/harass-c...ivate-property

Secondly, you MUST look at all possible bylaws. In my town I can NOT use a bow/air gun/firearm inside town limits. Many towns have similar bylaws but regardless you are responsible for every pellet/arrow/bullet that fire.

I would recommend you purchase a live trap instead. You can then take the trapped animal out to the woods where it is legal and safe to discharge a firearm and put the animal down. (This suggestion came straight from two MNR officials, one a supervisor, at a local meeting I attended)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
    Firstly, this does NOT fall under hunting laws IF you are dealing with animals that are damaging your property and you taking care of them yourself.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/harass-c...ivate-property

Secondly, you MUST look at all possible bylaws. In my town I can NOT use a bow/air gun/firearm inside town limits. Many towns have similar bylaws but regardless you are responsible for every pellet/arrow/bullet that fire.

I would recommend you purchase a live trap instead. You can then take the trapped animal out to the woods where it is legal and safe to discharge a firearm and put the animal down. (This suggestion came straight from two MNR officials, one a supervisor, at a local meeting I attended)

You restarted a three year old thread?

But anyways. When you live trap a wild animal( not a cat for example) you may only move it and release it with in 1000 meter of the capture site with out special permits. You catch a skunk and you can really move it couple blocks from you house. Same with squirrels or Raccoons.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Snowwalker;995660]You catch a skunk and you can really move it couple blocks from you house. .[/QUOTE

How far you move it depends on how far the mother-in-law lives away from you.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=sawbill;995661]
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You catch a skunk and you can really move it couple blocks from you house. .[/QUOTE

How far you move it depends on how far the mother-in-law lives away from you.
    Sounds like a personal problem to me....

Apprentice

User Info Menu

You guys are referring to 3 distinctly different species (of squirrels) . --- The Fox-squirrel , North America's largest , is (to my knowledge) protected in Ontario . They are rarely seen in our part of the country ; I've encountered them in the States . --- The Grey or Black (same family) is the only one worth to hunt . They are excellent table-fare . --- I've collected them with 22rfs (rifle and handgun) , shotguns and air-rifles (4.5mm) . Now-a-days an air-gun is my weapon of choice . --- The tiny red pine-squirrel shouldn't really be on any-one's agenda because they are too small to consider them a food-item .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 38 View Post
    --- The Fox-squirrel , North America's largest , is (to my knowledge) protected in Ontario

Page 81 of the Hunting regulations says

"Squirrel Seasons for Residents and Non-Residents Gray (Black), Fox"

So I think I will be putting a few on my table.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Regardless of what page 81 "states" I would discourage (ethical) hunters from taking Fox-squirrels . Too few of them are around (in Ontario) . Grey- or Black-squirrels are plentiful and taste just as good .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 38 View Post
    Regardless of what page 81 "states" I would discourage (ethical) hunters from taking Fox-squirrels . Too few of them are around (in Ontario) . Grey- or Black-squirrels are plentiful and taste just as good .
    You are saying that anyone that hunts Fox squirrels is "UNETHICAL", anything else you would like to add to your unethical to hunt list?
    Groundhogs?
    Rabbits?
    Hares?
    Fox?
    Snow Geese? You know on a province wide scale there really are not the many

I think I will just make some popcorn and watch...
    This could get good.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 26th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You are saying that anyone that hunts Fox squirrels is "UNETHICAL", anything else you would like to add to your unethical to hunt list?
    Groundhogs?
    Rabbits?
    Hares?
    Fox?
    Snow Geese? You now on a province wide scale there really are not the many

I think I will just make some popcorn and watch...
    This could get good.
    Yup got to shake my head sometimes with the thought process of some people. Calling some outdoors people unethical for following the rules yet condoning ignoring the rules as part of "the culture".
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Might as well add moose to the list of rare species that shouldn't be shot even though there is a season eh??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast