Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington success

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 35 Remington success

Hey Kilo,

Just wanted to let you know that I shot a 10 pt buck with my new Marlin 336 RC and my brother got a doe and a 9 pter with his Remington 141 Gamemaster. All were dead with 1 shot each with 200 grains. To those who say the 35 is anemic, I don't see it! You's should see the entry and exit wounds with not a lot of damage. Pretty impressive round! Long live the 35 Remington.

PP

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

shot my first moose with the same rifle 30 years ago at about 200 yards .nise gun to carry .ive moved up a little now own a 1895m 450 marlin. still waiting to anchor one with it 350 grain bullet . call her my girlly gun

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 35 Remington success

Munch,

Would you mind telling me the details of that 200yd shot on the moose and how the bullet performed.

PP

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

think the bullet was 180 grain can't say for sure it was a long time ago but shot threw the chest he staggered in a couple circles and down he went .i think the gun is much better as a brush gun but i just left camp one morning on and old skidder trail threw a fresh cut and there he was browsing on some fresh stuff. clear shot right too him typical moose hunt always happens when your not expecting it .took all of 10 minutes .i just saw the pic of the moose the other day now cant find it to post

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Awesome! Congratulations!
    Actually I sold my Marlin in .35 Remington....I should see if the fella wants to swap it for my .308 autoloader, LOL!
    Glad to hear you were hunting with the .35 again this year. Was the 141 your brother used the same one you always used or a different one?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The 141 Gamemaster that my brother was using was my father's. Incidentally, I was reading an article on knock down power of differing cartridges and it actually made reference to the fact that the 35 Rem has more knock down power than the 30 06 at 100yds and under. This is a very interesting factor and apparently it has something to do with the combination of the calibre and weight of the bullet and it's speed. ?????

PP

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well, I would take that with a grain of salt....but the .35 Rem is just a great cartridge for a hunter who never, ever wants or needs to shoot past 150 or 200 yards. So is my beloved .30-30, for the same reasons. Easy recoil, accurate, adequate power, and available in VERY cool rifles!
    It's funny how so many of us on the board have tracked your success with the .35 Remington. Pretty cool!

I think this is the best description of the cartridge ever....Dave Petzal wrote this in Field and Stream in an article about the all-time 12 best deer cartridges. Now, Dave Petzal is one of those loonies who thinks the .35 Rem is better than the .30-30....but other than that, he shows common sense, LOL!
    I think I will start a thread based on that article.

.35 Remington. As glamorous as a slab of fatback. Been around since 1906. Not much good past 100 yards. All it does is kill deer. Hoo boy, has it taken a lot of deer, and it continues to do so. Very mild kick, not much noise, and works well in short barrels. There are two loadings, a 150-grain and a 200. Stick with the 200.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

It was 1976 at the age of 15 when I took my first moose with a .35 Rem 200 gr. bullet. Took a moose for the next 3 years after that. I then purchased a 30-06 Remington Semi-Auto from an uncle. Then my brother used this same .35 Rem to take his first moose also. This is a great bush gun. My Father gave me the rifle about 10 years ago. I did do a restoration job this past September. It looks O.K but it is not professional. Don't know the year of mfg but it is over 50yrs. Does anyone know how to determine the year of manufacture?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

At one period the first two digits, subtracted from 2000, gave DOM.

Or try plugging your serial number in here, if it was made between 1948 and 1968 somewhere.

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

I've been looking for one of those. I was bidding on a 141 at an auction a while back, but when the price started getting stupid, i dropped out. I will find one sooner or later. My father shot a deer with a 35 Remington and told me it makes a big hole!

How is the availability of ammunition?

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast