Thread: Thick Ice

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Thick Ice

Will the ice interfere with the sonar reading if the transducer is only half way down the hole?
    I have had trouble getting good readings lately and am hoping that the lowrance isn't dying.
    I use a make shift set up with a regular transducer, not the iceducer.
    When I increase the sensitivity from 50% all readings tend to start to disappear as it increases to 90%.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Yes - the distance you can be from the bottom of the ice will depend on the aspect ratio of the transducer. If it is a 20 degree angle beam you can be further up the hole, a 60 degree angle would need to be further down. Either way though you should eliminate this as a possible problem by extending your holder to reach below the ice. If you have a dual beam you could try turning off the wide angled beam, using only the narrow beam.

Good luck

MC

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Thanks MC.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Your transducer should be below the bottom of the ice. Also if you are afraid of getting the cable tangled with your line when bringing up a fish and don't feel comfortable trying to bring in the fish and remove the transducer at the same time then drill another hole next to your fishing hole and just use it for the fish finder with the bottom of the transducer just below the bottom of the ice.

Fish Safe and Often.

Poppa

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Always below the ice
    Rip yanken em!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

keep it in the middle or drill a hole right beside,keep transducer as low as it can go.hopefully at least a foot from bottom of ice and dial back your power a bit if using a flasher

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.