Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping at Sail... Weird

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This is also a scenario that bugs me. From my understanding of the laws in Ontario you legally do not have to allow anyone to search any of your bags. Store owners and employees can not detain you only the police have that power. It really more of a courtesy on the shoppers part. Now on the other hand if you like shopping at this store you may want to let them have a peek because the store can refuse future service.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I do t steal. I understand a quick look in my bags. That isn't the problem. I've shopped at sail a few times e cause I live 5 mins away from the Oshawa one. And I don't like it there. The staff don't know much and it's impossible to get any real help. I've never had a problem with them checking my bags though. Over all I don't like them I no do %99 percent of my shopping at gagnons just like I used to. The staff are good and they know what there talking a out.

Point is that you just can't beat those good old mom and pop shops.

On another note I remember when zellers shut down I went and bout a coffee maker and a few other things ( can't remember ) and the security guard said can I look in your bag said sure gave him my receipt and he goes to put his hand in my bag. I took a step back and just said not happening and walked away he tried to follow me to my truck and it looked like he was righting my plate # down. Nothing ever came from it and i never went back there I'm not a thief and i don't want to be treated like one. I'm ok with a look in the bag and a check of my receipt and if you see something that is t on the list then we step aside. And we deal with it.

It's a big deterrent being treated like a thief

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The "Bag Checker" thing can back fire on a store as well. Had a case in a Department store when I work in NB. They had a couple of nice "young" ladies( Seasonal staff) politely checking bags at Christmas. A man and woman in their 20's where asked by one of the girls to show them a receipt and the stuff in the bag. The man and woman after a quick exchanged look said "NO." The other girl signalled a head cashier and the couple where taken to a table/counter in full view of the other customers and the bag was emptied. This young just married couple had to stand there, well two teen aged girls removed "VERY PERSONAL" items from the bag and placed them on the counter top.

I got to filed the reports and give statements to the police( Possible charges against the cashier for allowing the girls to do the search), as well as drive to Head office to explain what happened to the District Manager. The store was sued by the couple, and sued by the parents of both of the girls.

When I talked to the couple, they said the reason( only reason ) they said no to the girl was because she was too young. If the older cashier or an older person had asked to look in the bag they would have been OK with the bag check.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I was at costco with my mom one time and they wanted to look in her purse! I thought my mom was going to beat the guy with it! She told them there is absolutely no way they were checking her purse, or our bags, and we walked out. The security guy followed, and grabbed my mom by the arm asking her to stop. That's when I stepped in and told the guy if he didn't take his hands off my mom we were going to have a very serious problem.

He let go, and we left. Lucky for him he made the right choice!

S.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I don't have an issue with stores doing security, but it should be handled better. Don't make anyone feel like a thief. On another note, Sail sucks for ordering anything in that is not in stock. But I can get lebarons or Al Flarety to order anything I need without the b.s of its got to be 500.00 worth that I got at Sail
    A Proud Canadian and Proud Conservative. :moose:

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

It's not the fact they check your bags it's the fact that when u but ammo you check out at a different checkout at back of store, why not put the checkout for ammo at the front door, less issues and a lot less hassle for customer and employee

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by flippin View Post
    If you got nothing to hide who cares!
    Oh boy...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Sail is not doing anything to make hunter feel like home. Checking out at the customer service is just not right, last Sunday I had to wait ten minutes behind someone that was bringing stuff back. I mentioned to somewhat of a manager that I felt like at Walmart. I won't be back there for sure unless their change their attitude toward us.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    It's a proven loss deterrent... to stop shop lifting. WalMart has been doing it for many many years.

I don't blame a store for doing it and don't mind letting them take a quick look. Don't know why peole would consider it enough of an irritant to complain about it, must be a slow day
    After having to wait at the customer service and then having to open your bag it might get a bit irritating, no?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krypplephite View Post
    Stopped by Sail the other day on my way to shoot trap - Found a decent deal on a box of 7 1/2 shot shells and picked up a bunch other stuff.

Guy behind the 2nd floor gun counter tells me I have to cash out at customer service at the back of the main floor because of the ammo.

Ok...

So I take all my stuff down to customer service, show my PAL (they write the number down in a logbook - not sure how I feel about that, but whatever) and I pay.

Everything goes in a Sail bag and I head toward the exit with my <>$300 receipt in hand.

Girl at the front door asks to see my receipt...

Proceeds to slowly dig through my bag and match up each and every item.

It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just a thought for the management at Sail - It might be a good idea to put your customer service at the exit instead of conducting a protracted investigation of your paying customers on the way out.

There's nothing so unique at your store that isn't available in shops where I don't get shaken down at the exit.
    I would have returned it! Havent left the store it's their problem.

Next time I'd say no. They have no authority to detain you unless they have reasonable grounds to believe you stole something IMO.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast