Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: explain to me why ohep cost 300 bucks?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default explain to me why ohep cost 300 bucks?

Can someone explain to me why the cost is 300 bucks.. I just read on the ood site that the hunting course cost around 300 bucks I know this includes the firearms course but are we really kidding ourselves . I think that 300 bucks is a little excessive seeing its only a 20 hour course if you have 15 kids/adults that's 4500 bucks less about a grand for the books and course fees. and most places cost the same amount, this boarders almost on collusion (price fixing) . at this cost no wonder hunting is dyeing 300 bucks for hunter ed 50 for pal plus 10 for picture . This system is flawed and needs to be fixed .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Seems expensive!... Wonder if there is someone qualified doing it any cheaper to just help the sport with new hunters?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

if you read the ood mag when you sign in it is in the article that is about 12 things a hunter should know.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The course costs depend to a certain extent on where the instructor teaches from e.g., what does it cost to rent a facility to use for a course. (We charge $240 for both H Ed & PAL). Rents in urban areas probably are higher than more rural areas.
    Then, you have to understand that an instructor receives NOTHING for free to teach these courses:
    - We have to buy the books & exams
    - we have to pay 3 liability insurance fees to teach the 3 courses each year
    - We have to buy all the equipment we use to teach with (e.g., laptop computer & projector. We had to replace our old projector a year ago - cheapest I could find was over $350)
    - All the guns we use in these courses we have to provide, and they have to be disabled before we can use them. And with the beating that the guns take in these courses, we have to replace them on a regular basis. Have you checked out gun prices lately? The last 2 I had to buy cost me $625 used. We need to replace some others soon!
    - We are continually replacing dummy ammunition as it gets beaten up with the constant cycling through the actions by students. Even by making our own, we still need to buy bullets & brass, drill 3 holes in each shell, and paint bullets & primer holes blue.
    Then somewhere in there we need to pay for our expenses also - food, gas, etc. By the end of each course I've put 450 Km on my vehicle.
    You're lucky the course fees aren't any higher than they are!
    Last edited by genec; August 10th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Everything goes up in price I guess.. I think I payed 60 bucks 25 years ago!... But the instructor didn't have any real overhead... Taught it in his basement in bowmanville ... Mr neilson if I remember correct...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mark270wsm View Post
    at this cost no wonder hunting is dyeing 300 bucks for hunter ed 50 for pal plus 10 for picture.
    It's far from dying...every course here is run to full capacity with waiting lists....so the market seems to bear the $300 fee.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I took my course and exam ( a one evening deal) in my game warden's basement by myself. Just him and me. I am sure he did it because he loved the outdoors and helping others get involved. No cost. I was 15 and life was simpler then. Geeze I have to get out of the way-back machine.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

so if I am a out of province hunter I can challenge the exam for 40 dollars I can also challenge the fire arms course for 40 dollars. i see most hunter safety courses in the usa are reasonably cheap. so if your a non resident you can come to Ontario and start hunting for about 100 bucks... something is so wrong with that.
    Last edited by mark270wsm; August 10th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mark270wsm View Post
    so if I am a out of province hunter I can challenge the exam for 40 dollars I can also challenge the fire arms course for 40 dollars. i see most hunter safety courses in the usa are reasonably cheap. so if your a non resident you can come to Ontario and start hunting for about 100 bucks... something is so wrong with that.
    Thats assuming you have a hunting license from a recognized place. Theres nothing wrong with it.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

where would i find the list of places that are recognized

Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast