Thread: Carb Flooding = Leaking

Coarse fish magnet

User Info Menu

Default Carb Flooding = Leaking

Hey Guys,

I have my boat parked but every now and then run her just to make sure everything is working good.

A couple of days ago at night time i primed the fuel bulb, squeeze squeeze. Instead of getting hard, i heard fuel trickling (thought there was a leak in the hose somewhere).

Today i go back to see what had happened, again squeeze squeeze, but the hoses were fine. Fuel was leaking out of the Lower Carb (i have 2 Carbs).

What do you figure this is ? the bowl was really loose too, so i hand tightened that but i didn't seem to help much, do you think this is a gasket issue ?

I have no idea why the fuel would leak from the Carb. Is this normal ? does this happen often ?

I guess i have to remove the air intake cover and remove the Carb to see whats going on.

Any advice ? tips ? tricks ?

Thanks
    Those who profit from death, misery, and destruction have mastered propaganda and the art of persuasion - There will always be the "Other"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Check the float valve and seat area, could have fallen out, broke, stuck, gasket surface is gone, dirt stuck etc. Sounds like its not shutting fuel off when the bowl gets full.

Check the float too but that will be obvious when its apart, could have leaked and is full of fuel therefore not floating so good no more.
    Last edited by chris1395; August 14th, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Leaky float
    Get the net...Get the net...Get the net!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

It sounds like you have a carb issue and one of the seals has let go. I would recommend you bring it to your local Marina to have it rebuilt and setup again for proper mixture. Carbs can sometimes be very finicky and the wrong setup and lead to bigger issues down the road. Hope this helps

Henry Nguyen

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I second the float valve opinion. The float is connected to a needle and seat. If the needle is not seated properly it will flood the carb. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have the patience of Buddha and steady hands.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I had the same problem on my 75HP Honda! Definitely a carb problem. First thing to try is some sea foam . Disconnect hose from tank and mix sea foam with gas in a container. Higher concentration of sea foam to gas 2 to 1. Put hose into mixture and run engine till gas and sea foam mixture is sucked into engine. Engine will smoke white not to worry. Make sure mixture gets into bowls on carbs, engine will almost stall. Leave it alone for a week. Start the engine normally with your regular gas mixture noticing the exhaust will come out black. Run engine and problem might be gone. If this dose not work you need to rebuild carb. Sea foam can be found at any Canadian Tire stores. This worked on my engine I had two of the four carbs leaking just like yours. This is a cheap fix and I now do it on my other carb equipment. Lawn mower and ATV.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Go to the marine shop buy a carb kit. It's not very diffcult to install a carb kit.