Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Hunting in WMU 78e (Toronto)

So obviously it's illegal to discharge a firearm in Toronto, but if:

1. I am the holder of a small game license and
    2. Use a bow, crossbow or some other non-firearm (safely) and
    3. The thing I'm hunting is in season and
    4. I'm on my own property

Can I hunt rabbit, raccoon, squirrel etc. in Toronto?

Alternatively, how fast would the cops get called?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When we lived in the wilds of Scarborough the township was a Crown Game Preserve. No hunting anything. When I fired a shotgun or center fire rifle I would often see a yellow police car cruise by within 30 minutes. Our neighbour about 1/2 mile north of us was opposed to hunting..... Always figured it was her calling the cops..
    that was about 1963.....north of Finch, east of 48
    Last edited by Pat32rf; August 21st, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Is there an open season for those species in that unit?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krypplephite View Post

No discharge of firearms does not only refer to "guns". You would have to read the bylaw for the definition of firearm used. In Vaughan no discharge of firearms describes and includes bow, air rifles and even slingshots. All thats left is well maybe baseball bats.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Is there an open season for those species in that unit?
    There is... Yes

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    No discharge of firearms does not only refer to "guns". You would have to read the bylaw for the definition of firearm used. In Vaughan no discharge of firearms describes and includes bow, air rifles and even slingshots. All thats left is well maybe baseball bats.
    The Toronto bylaws I found seem to only ban the use of bows in parks.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any different?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

The Toronto bylaws I found seem to only ban the use of bows in parks.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any different?
    Got time on my hands so doing your homework. So far City of Mississauga has a nice right up. Part II Definitions defines Bows as long bow, cross bows, compound bows, and recurve bow. Firearms: any barreled weapon,spring gun, air gun,paintbal gun, air soft gun, and slingshot.
    Part VII - Exemptions
    line 17 There are no exempitions that allow discharge of bows and firearms for the purpose of hunting.
    I know it not toronto (seems hard to read through toronto bylaws). However you got to figure if Mississauga prohits discharge of firearms for hunting got to be the same for Toronto.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A- If this was my property, I'd be hunting it everyday based on the information that you have provided!
    Open season for specific game animals in a WMU means you have the green light to harvest those species, and I am sure they don't expect you to catch them with your bare hands!!!

B- The part of your post that I have highlighted in red colour doesn't make sense. Refer to your own point #3.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Hawkman;679076]A- If this was my property, I'd be hunting it everyday based on the information that you have provided!
    Open season for specific game animals in a WMU means you have the green light to harvest those species, and I am sure they don't expect you to catch them with your bare hands!!!

QUOTE]

You think it would be that simple. In Vaughan according to the regs there is an open season for rabbit however the bylaw states no discharge of firearms which they define a gun, air rifle, bow, and even slingshots....so ya I guess they expect you to use your hands.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

LOL FFF.

I have read, mostly understood, and played by the rules in the past ~30 years!!! However, at this point, if I owned the same property as the OP has described, I'd hunt it daily regardless of what the regs suggest. Heck, I'd even go to the authorities and obtain written exemptions to whatever rules exist on MY property which happens to be in the middle of a WMU with open seasons!

Hate to admit it, but sometimes you shoot first, ask questions later. Bows and pellet guns will not make loud noise or raise any neighbourly concerns. My only concern however, would be a wounded animal running onto someone else's property - or worse, a road nearby...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast