Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Hunting in WMU 78e (Toronto)

  1. #11
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    LOL FFF.

    I have read, mostly understood, and played by the rules in the past ~30 years!!! However, at this point, if I owned the same property as the OP has described, I'd hunt it daily regardless of what the regs suggest. Heck, I'd even go to the authorities and obtain written exemptions to whatever rules exist on MY property which happens to be in the middle of a WMU with open seasons!

    Hate to admit it, but sometimes you shoot first, ask questions later. Bows and pellet guns will not make loud noise or raise any neighbourly concerns. My only concern however, would be a wounded animal running onto someone else's property - or worse, a road nearby...
    I hear ya but its one thing to do what you want on the back 40 of the middle of nowhere another when your in Toronto. Too many nosey neighbors that can't mind their own business.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    They worse advice someone can give is on the Internet. If they discharge by laws indicate no discharge you can hunt with your bare hands only. Was invited to hunt at a property backing on to dundas valley and checked the by laws in hamilton so passed on they property as it was in a no discharge area. Remember every hunter is out there and gives other hunters a bad rap when they break the law and get caught. You my friend in TO will get caught and charged and pay a fine. Good luck.
    Last edited by pbonura; August 22nd, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    LOL FFF.

    I have read, mostly understood, and played by the rules in the past ~30 years!!! However, at this point, if I owned the same property as the OP has described, I'd hunt it daily regardless of what the regs suggest. Heck, I'd even go to the authorities and obtain written exemptions to whatever rules exist on MY property which happens to be in the middle of a WMU with open seasons!

    Hate to admit it, but sometimes you shoot first, ask questions later. Bows and pellet guns will not make loud noise or raise any neighbourly concerns. My only concern however, would be a wounded animal running onto someone else's property - or worse, a road nearby...
    Pellet guns in town is dangerous, people think they are toys and treat them as such, but there are people out there missing eyes who know they are not. Don't be stupid, there is a reason not to shoot in a city.

  5. #14
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Interesting topic, I just stumbled upon! I hope it's okay if I chime in late.

    A couple of people have suggested that you could use your hands to hunt, but is that really true? I'm sure there are many home owners in the GTA that would pay good money for the pelt of a raccoon that has been throwing garbage around and leaving droppings all over, but I assume that you can not use your hands, knife, hatchet or a spear to hunt unless it's explicitly allowed by the MNR because they are responsible for ensuring humane harvest. You can't always "drop-down" to a hunting method of lower lethality - for instance, there are minimum calibers for some game, and bows require broadheads and minimum draw weights. From the hunting summary about Raccoons: "You can only use a .22 calibre rim-fire rifle chambered for the following cartridges: .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle." obviously out of the question in a city. Besides, if you use a knife or spear, or even a rock, you may have a weapons offense to deal with, and that could affect your PAL even if it's not a gun offense. Even if one could win such a case, one could lose their house due to legal costs, and it's not a good way to advance hunting in Ontario.

    You are, however, explicitly allowed by the MNR to harvest some turtles and frogs by hand, and maybe there are no by-laws against falconry in the city for black squirrels. I still wouldn't do it in the city, however. If the police are not 100% sure that what you're doing doesn't break a particular law, it seems to be within their discretion to charge you and let the courts figure it out.

    Cheers

  6. #15
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Cast out a carrot with a strong little single hook and real in when caught, then you can use your hand method to finish it off :-)
    Aim Small, Miss Small

  7. #16
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wongstein View Post
    Interesting topic, I just stumbled upon! I hope it's okay if I chime in late.

    A couple of people have suggested that you could use your hands to hunt, but is that really true? I'm sure there are many home owners in the GTA that would pay good money for the pelt of a raccoon that has been throwing garbage around and leaving droppings all over, but I assume that you can not use your hands, knife, hatchet or a spear to hunt unless it's explicitly allowed by the MNR because they are responsible for ensuring humane harvest. You can't always "drop-down" to a hunting method of lower lethality - for instance, there are minimum calibers for some game, and bows require broadheads and minimum draw weights. From the hunting summary about Raccoons: "You can only use a .22 calibre rim-fire rifle chambered for the following cartridges: .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle." obviously out of the question in a city. Besides, if you use a knife or spear, or even a rock, you may have a weapons offense to deal with, and that could affect your PAL even if it's not a gun offense. Even if one could win such a case, one could lose their house due to legal costs, and it's not a good way to advance hunting in Ontario.

    You are, however, explicitly allowed by the MNR to harvest some turtles and frogs by hand, and maybe there are no by-laws against falconry in the city for black squirrels. I still wouldn't do it in the city, however. If the police are not 100% sure that what you're doing doesn't break a particular law, it seems to be within their discretion to charge you and let the courts figure it out.

    Cheers
    What about 22 subsonic rounds.. They are nice and quiete...
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

  8. #17
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    As far as I can tell blowdarts, throwing sticks, and slingshots are not explicitly forbidden. Neither are spears.

  9. #18
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    What about 22 subsonic rounds.. They are nice and quiete...
    The .22 restriction on Raccoons is for night hunting only. Believe me, for a humane kill you don't want to stretch the range of your shot, and this is the one time I really like a semi for a quick follow up shot.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

  10. #19
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salmonid View Post
    As far as I can tell blowdarts, throwing sticks, and slingshots are not explicitly forbidden. Neither are spears.
    Blowguns( the thing you shot the darts out of) are PROHIBITED in Canada. Sorry but slingshots are not allowed under the discharge by-law. Two strikes...Play ball.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

  11. #20
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Blowguns( the thing you shot the darts out of) are PROHIBITED in Canada. Sorry but slingshots are not allowed under the discharge by-law. Two strikes...Play ball.
    So.. All those years I made a pea shooterr out of a pen in school to shoot substitute teachers with.. I was breaking the law?
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •