Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91

Thread: Ontario Public Hunting Area Locations

  1. #41
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWallhanger View Post
    I will tell you simcoe co forest suck . waste of time.
    There's a huge amount of acreage in the Simcoe forests... Surely, it cant all suck??

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #42
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but there are a couple of books also available which give some details on public land available for hunting. I have them - they are o.k., but they seem to concentrate on southern Ontario, which doesn't interest me due to my location.
    http://www.shopofah.org/ontario-hunting-guides/

  4. #43
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but there are a couple of books also available which give some details on public land available for hunting. I have them - they are o.k., but they seem to concentrate on southern Ontario, which doesn't interest me due to my location.
    http://www.shopofah.org/ontario-hunting-guides/
    I think this kind of thing is just more relevant to soutern Ontario. If you're up north you're surrounded by crown land where you can hunt so you don't really need the help. Granted, there are some in-between areas in central Ont where crown land is available but not all over the place and can be a bit of a task to find, but even there the crown is sort of a rough patchwork all over the place, not a set of isolated properties that can be listed.

  5. #44
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWallhanger View Post
    I will tell you simcoe co forest suck . waste of time.
    You must not have ventured to very many. I have shot a few Turkey and a few deer in a few SCF, both east and west of the 400.

    It is difficult to find good spots, but for those who are willing to put lots of miles on their vehicle and their feet you can find some pretty sweet spots.

    Driving by, or simple walking the main trail doesn't cut it. You need to look at google maps, and get out there, and explore the spots that look interesting and are off the beaten path. Watching animal movement from the road on neighbouring properties can help pinpoint areas of the SCF that may harbour game, or that may be part of their daily travel route, even though they may not spend the night there, they pass through.

    MC
    Last edited by mastercaster; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

  6. #45
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tweedwolfscream View Post
    I think this kind of thing is just more relevant to soutern Ontario. If you're up north you're surrounded by crown land where you can hunt so you don't really need the help. Granted, there are some in-between areas in central Ont where crown land is available but not all over the place and can be a bit of a task to find, but even there the crown is sort of a rough patchwork all over the place, not a set of isolated properties that can be listed.
    I'm in the Ottawa area - neither north nor south. There is some crown/public land in the area, but there is also quite a bit that is not covered by these books. I just feel the authors could have done a better job in covering my area - maybe volume 3 will do it.

  7. #46
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Some of those areaa have private mixed in and the private is now being posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    I'm in the Ottawa area - neither north nor south. There is some crown/public land in the area, but there is also quite a bit that is not covered by these books. I just feel the authors could have done a better job in covering my area - maybe volume 3 will do it.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

  8. #47
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    In regards to the 'tell or not to tell' question of our fav hunting spots.

    The more hunters there are the stronger our voice will be in retaining and obtaining public land for hunting. We live in a country with many hunting opportunities unlike Europe where it is primarily for the rich. Therefore as we spread the word and recruit the younger generation we support our own future.

    IMO non hunters and those slobs breaking the rules do far more damage to my hunting than all legit hunters combined. Case in point, I put an apprentice hunter up in a tree stand on a deer hunt last bow season, about half an hour into our hunt all I hear is bang, bang , bang, twenty or more times. As we waited the gun fire got closer to us and we climbed down out of safety. This was in an a public area (one of the ones listed above) where it is signed no target shooting, I found this on the way out:

    Attachment 24369


    I have been around long enough to know it is not the use of our publics lands which creates problems, it is the abuse of these areas.

  9. #48
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for sharing. I know this has caused some controversy but it was a great gesture.

  10. #49
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I would like to thank the OP for the information he posted it will be a valuable resource for anyone just getting into the sport/recreation of hunting like myself.

    I would like to chime in on this one as a "rookie". I may seem way off base to some but I think it’s relevant.

    I have found some of the information listed both on the internet and the hunting regulations book from 2013. I am currently investigating my options for a couple of the local CA's and plan on getting out, if nothing else, to work on tracking and locating and general knowledge on the way the animals act and move. If the opportunity arises and I get the chance to harvest I will be grateful.
    I have knocked on doors and to this point I have had no luck gaining access to private land. I know it may come up so before it does, I have gone to ask in my work cloths, dress shirt, dress pants and shoes not my hunting cloths and have been nothing short of polite and respectful during the conversation. Though I am not giving up on asking, it does get frustrating as you all know and for some could deter them from pursuing the sport/recreation.

    As for those who have areas already, and I am not by any means saying that you have to or should share, it's your spot you earned it and have every right to keep it your own, but can you see any gratification in bringing a "rookie" along, giving some tips and showing them how enjoyable the sport/recreation can be? I am not by any means pointing at everyone as I know there are those that would likely be very open to the idea but it does seem like most would rather keep it to themselves. I personally have gained quite a bit of knowledge from reading forums and researching on the internet but there is really no substitute to being out there and learning hands on.

    Sorry for the long wind and again this was not meant to offend or target anyone. Good luck to everyone in 2014.

  11. #50
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Just wanted to get this bumped back up to the top for anyone who might have missed it last year, or have another public spot to add to the list.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •