Thread: Saltwater Line

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Saltwater Line

Booked a trip to Cuba next month.

Looking to bring my fly setup, and play around and see what I can catch.

I was thinking of bringing my steelhead set up (8 weight) with a sealed drag 7/8 reel..It currently has my expensive steelhead floating line on it.

I was wondering how essential is a saltwater-specific line..could I get away with using my current set up?

Line is expensive and I would prefer to save money for cigars if I can

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The special thing about 'Salt Water' lines is that they are designed for warmer water. They may have some what of an improved resistance to the salt, however no mater what, you will have to clean your gear with fresh water after use.

A steelhead floating line may be designed for cold water conditions, in which case will not be a great choice for the warm water. It will be too soft and not castable. This is the main advantage of a salt water line other than the colour may be more suited to the tropical environment as well. They may have a larger taper for distance casting / high winds, but in the end a 'regular' fly line will do the job, as long as it will hold up in the warmer water.

SA Air Cel has a 'saltwater' version that is 30 bucks. If you are only going for a week, that will likely do the job and not put you out too much $$. Even the regular Air Cel may get you by, but i would be a little hesitant with the steelhead line (most likely cold water specific).

No mater what line you choose... remember to clean with fresh water!

Have fun in Cuba!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I took my 7/8 steelhead gear a couple years ago to Cayo Coco and fished Bonefish. The wind was a killer on the arm.The warm weather, sand and saltwater made my fly line go limp and ruined any coating I had. I had some great fishing but my line was garbage when I returned. I would go with Shaneo's advise and spend the $30.

Also just a heads up. . . a 4lb bonefish damn near spooled my steelhead gear more then once!!! Awesome to say the least! Last year I fished Tarpon but the guide provided the gear. He looked at my 8wt Loomis and said "You brought a knife to a gun fight"!!!lol I used a 12 wt Loop system that would stop a train!!! Landed 3 that day. My arms hurt for 3 days following!!!lol I'm booked to do it all again in 9 sleeps!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!
    Jrocks