Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 109

Thread: Handgun Hunting

  1. #51
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    Ok. So completely confused on this one. You're saying that pic is over 25 years old? And you hunted with the pistol back when it was legal to do so?

    Otherwise friend, unless you and trigger there are actually sitting on an approved range, or are South of the US Canada border, you're admitting to a no-no which you can be severely prosecuted for.
    Actually I'm using and wearing a Smith and Wesson

    http://www.airgundepot.com/5866.html

    The picture was taken last fall, and the Horses name is Sugartyme Lady, not Trigger. Although I've been in negotiations with Bob Redford to purchase Trigger's Great-Great grandson.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #52
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    Actually I'm using and wearing a Smith and Wesson

    http://www.airgundepot.com/5866.html

    The picture was taken last fall, and the Horses name is Sugartyme Lady, not Trigger. Although I've been in negotiations with Bob Redford to purchase Trigger's Great-Great grandson.
    Ah, seen. Read your post, and missed the one little word "air" right before pistol.

    Carry on there Will Rogers....
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

    Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

  4. #53
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Hunting with a handgun makes perfect sense. I would love to pot squirrels and grouse with my .22. Those folks on this board who oppose hunting with a handgun are simply narrow-minded. "It's not right for me, so it's not right for you" sort of thing. Thanks for the advice, mommy. If a "hunter" is unethical enough to go afield with the improper caliber or the improper skill level to reasonably ensure clean harvesting with a handgun, that same person is as likely to commit the same failings with a long gun or archery tackle.

    Using a handgun safely and ethically is NO different than that of a long gun. I have taken holster certification/safety training for the purpose of participating in IDPA competitions (had fun, but wasn't my thing). That doesn't make me an expert in anything, but it does reflect the fact that I am not completely ignorant about the dynamics of using a handgun where safety/speed/accuracy are a trinity. Like in hunting.
    Youíre lucky to have the gear you already have. Some people wish they had stuff as nice as the stuff you think isnít good enough. - Bill Heavey

  5. #54
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I would love to sit in my tree stand and shoot deer with the 357 or 44 mag Dutch

  6. #55
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallgamer View Post
    Those folks on this board who oppose hunting with a handgun are simply narrow-minded....Thanks for the advice,mommy
    This board is used to express ideas, not that we are all yes men. I stated clearly why I would not support reintroducing handguns to hunting, and if any province were to allow it Alberta would be the first. Yet because I state my ideas and because they are not the same as yours, you berat and call us names. In actual fact that is bullying. As far as what constitutes Ethical???? Thats a topic for another thread.

  7. #56
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default Handgun hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by smallgamer View Post
    Hunting with a handgun makes perfect sense. I would love to pot squirrels and grouse with my .22. Those folks on this board who oppose hunting with a handgun are simply narrow-minded. "It's not right for me, so it's not right for you" sort of thing. Thanks for the advice, mommy. If a "hunter" is unethical enough to go afield with the improper caliber or the improper skill level to reasonably ensure clean harvesting with a handgun, that same person is as likely to commit the same failings with a long gun or archery tackle.

    Using a handgun safely and ethically is NO different than that of a long gun. I have taken holster certification/safety training for the purpose of participating in IDPA competitions (had fun, but wasn't my thing). That doesn't make me an expert in anything, but it does reflect the fact that I am not completely ignorant about the dynamics of using a handgun where safety/speed/accuracy are a trinity. Like in hunting.
    I don't think the majority of hunters here are against the idea. It's the idea of giving another tool (handgun) which takes a lot of practise to get good with to masses of hunter that would take it up like a fad. Just like a debate on the faster crossbows that are being made. People think they can shoot farther (not many, especially without the effort in practise) and better. Those guys who miss or wound game say they won't use them anymore and only use a gun. Is it the bows fault? Or the newest ultra mag cartridges with shorter actions. Like that makes a better shot or hunter! If the general hunting public we're given another opportunity, do you think they would put the effort in that an enthusiast would? Not! Only can see more negatives than positives.

  8. #57
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallgamer View Post
    If a "hunter" is unethical enough to go afield with the improper caliber or the improper skill level to reasonably ensure clean harvesting with a handgun, that same person is as likely to commit the same failings with a long gun or archery tackle.
    Uhhmmm, I'm pretty sure that's what I said in my earlier post? Thanks for backing up my point of view.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  9. #58
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    This board is used to express ideas, not that we are all yes men. I stated clearly why I would not support reintroducing handguns to hunting, and if any province were to allow it Alberta would be the first. Yet because I state my ideas and because they are not the same as yours, you berat and call us names. In actual fact that is bullying. As far as what constitutes Ethical???? Thats a topic for another thread.
    My apologies for causing you to feel that I am berating you. My intention is to point out that deeming a handgun as an inappropriate tool for harvesting game demonstrates the same narrow-mindedness as is displayed by those firearm users who feel that way about bow-hunting, bow-hunters who feel that way about cross-bows, etc.. If using the term "narrow-minded" falls under your definition of name-calling or bullying it is your prerogative to feel that I have done so, however that is not my intent. "Thanks for the advice, mommy" is meant to infer that as a responsible and competent individual I reserve the right to decide what is best for me, without desiring to be subject to the paternalism that is so often directed at those within the firearm community by fellow citizens, our government, and worst - our fellow firearm enthusiasts.

    Quote Originally Posted by robster View Post
    I don't think the majority of hunters here are against the idea. It's the idea of giving another tool (handgun) which takes a lot of practise to get good with to masses of hunter that would take it up like a fad. Just like a debate on the faster crossbows that are being made. People think they can shoot farther (not many, especially without the effort in practise) and better. Those guys who miss or wound game say they won't use them anymore and only use a gun. Is it the bows fault? Or the newest ultra mag cartridges with shorter actions. Like that makes a better shot or hunter! If the general hunting public we're given another opportunity, do you think they would put the effort in that an enthusiast would? Not! Only can see more negatives than positives.
    I understand what you are saying, however I believe that the majority of potential handgun hunters (and the general hunting public) would indeed adapt to the limitations imposed by the capabilities of their chosen firearm, as ethical bow-hunters have done. Will there be those who don't? Yes. But I don't see more negatives than positives because I believe there are far more skilled and ethical folks afield than not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Uhhmmm, I'm pretty sure that's what I said in my earlier post? Thanks for backing up my point of view.
    Yes, but you also said "For the few that would be proficient and conscientious shooting a handgun at game, there would be hundred's, if not thousands, of others who wouldn't be" which I strongly disagree with and I think is a poor description of the type of people who populate our hunting community. I stated that in the case of any "hunter" in the sense of a person who I described in your quote, it matters not what tool they take afield they are liable to be inadequately prepared to take their chosen game. There will always be a few unprepared, opposed to the hundreds if not thousands who are, IMHO.
    Youíre lucky to have the gear you already have. Some people wish they had stuff as nice as the stuff you think isnít good enough. - Bill Heavey

  10. #59
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I bet that a lot of old timer moose hunters could tell you about handgun hunting in Ontario?
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

    Many are called but only a few are chosen.

  11. #60
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    While I used to carry one while moose hunting I never had a chance to shoot at a moose with one. Killed dozens of grouse and a few snowshoes during the hunts though.
    When we were getting dressed each morning the harness went on under our jackets and thus we would have a gun with us all day long, while going out to collect firewood, water or just for a quick walk to check on a spot for sign. This was before the days of the ATV in an area where seeing another hunter was rare.
    I've only had one occasion when I was close enough to use a handgun on a moose in all my years of hunting them. Since I happened to have a rifle as well, that's what I used.
    Last edited by Pat32rf; January 11th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •