Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Free JRT - Decisions, Decisions...

  1. #11
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by last5oh_302 View Post
    Pfft, grab a couple of them.
    Like this. One was supposed to be a gift for a friend that had lost a dog and wanted a JRT. They lived up north and when we went to the cottage they had went on vacation. So needless to say we feel in love with her and I was a kid so it would have been hard for my parents to give her back, friends ended up getting a JRT as well lol. The other JRT we got when we read an ad in the super shopper for a free dog a young girl and her mom couldn't handle. The min pin is mine and my girlfriend's. Ummm ya if you have lots of time and room for them they are excellent dogs. My two JRTs don't leave my dads feet and go absolutely mental when we get out the pellet guns. Fearless of nothing. Most loyal and protective dogs I've owned including the min pin. They have a lot of character and are amazing companions.



  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks everyone, after careful thinking and support from this forum - we have decided not to take a pup. They are absolutely beautiful dogs, and the parents are wonderful however; they are far too "high energy" for us at this time, without a fenced in yard for them to burn off some energy in. We already have enough issues with the hound escaping and even chewing through her tie-out cable.

    Of another note - the sire, at six years old made me laugh. He's very neurotic (only word I can think of). He jumps incesantly up the trunk of a tree outside the owners house. So much so, the exact location where he jumps is free of snow and grass, and three inches deeper into the ground than the surrounding areas, the tree is also bare from bark. The owner explains - "Buddy" saw a squirrel run up that tree 4 years ago, and now he jumps up the tree and barks as soon as he's done doing his "business" outside.

    I don't think I could handle a little dog with that kind of mentality - or craziness

  4. #13
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    LOL sounds typical. They are insane. We had to keep our cats in a bedroom when the dog was in the house. She was a cat killer (and grew up with them from the time she was 7 weeks old, just decided one day they weren't friends anymore). I used to bike with her and would go for a couple of hours (with water breaks of course) and she was still neurotic in the house upon returning. I like them but as active as I am, unless I had a ton of property I know they aren't the breed for me. The one in that pic I posted with my ECS is 8 years old. My buddy comments all the time how she is finally calming down now. I'll tell ya, it must take a trained eye because to me she's still in overdrive. Cool little dogs for sure, I don't think any other dog matches their drive or tenacity. That being said though, it takes a special home to meet their requirements. I think you made the right choice - you can always get one later on if you decide its a breed you would like. Misty is still young herself - I think 2 pups would drive you nuts - mine do. There is 6 months between my 2 and I will never do that again. Next time I'll be waiting until one dog is at least 5 years old before adding another. Much easier to keep on top of one pup than on both lol.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

  5. #14
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    LOL sounds typical. They are insane. We had to keep our cats in a bedroom when the dog was in the house. She was a cat killer (and grew up with them from the time she was 7 weeks old, just decided one day they weren't friends anymore). I used to bike with her and would go for a couple of hours (with water breaks of course) and she was still neurotic in the house upon returning. I like them but as active as I am, unless I had a ton of property I know they aren't the breed for me. The one in that pic I posted with my ECS is 8 years old. My buddy comments all the time how she is finally calming down now. I'll tell ya, it must take a trained eye because to me she's still in overdrive. Cool little dogs for sure, I don't think any other dog matches their drive or tenacity. That being said though, it takes a special home to meet their requirements. I think you made the right choice - you can always get one later on if you decide its a breed you would like. Misty is still young herself - I think 2 pups would drive you nuts - mine do. There is 6 months between my 2 and I will never do that again. Next time I'll be waiting until one dog is at least 5 years old before adding another. Much easier to keep on top of one pup than on both lol.
    Misty is a relatively calm pup for the most part, around home at least. She's nearing 50 lbs, so - that tail and her "clumsy" feet tend to knock stuff over pretty easy. When she's outside on her tie-out, she loves to just laze and relax unless something gets her attention on the ground or by sight - then she pulls at her lead and has even broken the cable a few times and got lose. We've had to switch to a higher end stainless braided cable. She's not outside all the time, don't get me wrong - but with my wife at home with the baby, it's nice just to tie her out for a couple hours.

    In the bush, you can generally go for walk by yourself and completely forget you brought the dog until you call her. She comes to my voice with no issues, and almost instantly - unless she's on a trail, then she'll bark saying "No, you come to me instead!". Anyone else, she just ignores them.

    I couldn't imagine a hyperactive little dog running around right now distracting her. She got frustrated enough with my brother-in-law's lab pup (same age) getting in her way when she had her nose to the ground, he wanted to play, she wanted to sniff - I could see it was bothering her. So much so, he stopped bringing the lab to the hunting camp when we were training Misty.

  6. #15
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Such talk of the JRT ..LOL I love them. They keep you young.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  7. #16
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Such talk of the JRT ..LOL I love them. They keep you young.
    They'd keep my blood pressure up... lol
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

  8. #17
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jweese View Post

    How specifically do the dogs hunt? Are they flushers? Chasers? Pointers? Diggers? Barkers?
    Yes X 5. When matched with the right owner they are absolutely fantastic. My male will retrieve ducks in calm water early seaason and find cripples on shore. I've never found mine to be "yappy", and they benefit greatly from a lot from being talked to, affection and a whole lotta action. I absolutely love the little buggers.
    "The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly."

  9. #18
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Seeing the post / pictures of the little dogs reminded me of a tweet I read this morning

    Any dog that weighs less than 50 pounds is a cat. and cats are useless. - Ron Swanson
    If you don't watch "Parks and Recreation" you might not get it

    I don't subscribe to the theory, just found it funny
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

  10. #19
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyRookie View Post
    Seeing the post / pictures of the little dogs reminded me of a tweet I read this morning



    If you don't watch "Parks and Recreation" you might not get it

    I don't subscribe to the theory, just found it funny
    Ya well my cats have put a 100 pound husky on top of a car roof. After it took apiece of my males head, the female ankle biter came and was right on the jugular. The fight was on after that and my male recouped never heard such a big dog whimper so loud and piss its self. There a rule in the animal kingdom; fright, flight, then fight. They may be little but they are fierce. Oh and the kid down the road was pretty bummed his husky got it handed to it by two 20 pound jacks and then had to fork over a 200$ vet bill for the small cut on my dogs noodle. And some choice words to keep his dog fenced or its next visit will probably be its last.

  11. #20
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyRookie View Post
    Seeing the post / pictures of the little dogs reminded me of a tweet I read this morning



    If you don't watch "Parks and Recreation" you might not get it

    I don't subscribe to the theory, just found it funny
    OMG I love that show. I'm reading Nick Offerman's Paddle Your Own Canoe right now. He's hilarious!
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •