Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring bear hunt

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What if they shoot the cub in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    What is any different in the fall? Anyone who shoots a bear with cubs is pathetic.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    OK, that's an opinion. But keep in mind that spring cub is now a legal bear in the fall. Whether one takes it or not is their choice.
    Yep - Won't exactly fill the freezer but does make an affordable "full-body-mount".

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Regarding the pending spring hunt and the justification for it.... Although I understand that there are potential economic and tourism benefits if the hunt were to continue and become non-resident friendly.... and I would like to see the spring hunt return as another opportunity for Ontario hunters as well... (It's a very long time between big game seasons here)...
    but I also wonder - what is the current tag allocation for these problem bear areas. If population control / reduction is the goal, would handing out more additional tags (similar to deer in SW Ontario) not be a viable option ?? I understand that a 2nd seal is available in a few select areas... but if there's a bear problem area where culling is the goal, why not hand out 5 or 6 tags??

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HuntCamp'r View Post
    Regarding the pending spring hunt and the justification for it.... Although I understand that there are potential economic and tourism benefits if the hunt were to continue and become non-resident friendly.... and I would like to see the spring hunt return as another opportunity for Ontario hunters as well... (It's a very long time between big game seasons here)...
    but I also wonder - what is the current tag allocation for these problem bear areas. If population control / reduction is the goal, would handing out more additional tags (similar to deer in SW Ontario) not be a viable option ?? I understand that a 2nd seal is available in a few select areas... but if there's a bear problem area where culling is the goal, why not hand out 5 or 6 tags??
    The problem is that it probably won't benefit the outfitters. When I worked in the bush, I got to know the local outfitter and he told me that almost all of his business came from non resident hunters (US) and that resident hunters didn't usually bother with bears. The locals up north are shooting bears primarily for safety and to protect their property.

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roe+ View Post
    The problem is that it probably won't benefit the outfitters. When I worked in the bush, I got to know the local outfitter and he told me that almost all of his business came from non resident hunters (US) and that resident hunters didn't usually bother with bears. The locals up north are shooting bears primarily for safety and to protect their property.

Roe+
    That being said, reviving the Hunt and opening it to non-residents is likely the best option to remove more bears.... and can stimulate the local economy somewhat, as well... They should do it.

but I think they could loosen up the tags for residents as well... For instance, I hunt bears in the Bancroft - Cardiff area...(wmu57) I don't know it the bear population is a problem there, but the locals tell me it is??? I would gladly take a second one, given the opportunity... If I could get a second seal. The additional seals are very limited, as you can see on the attached list.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...ent/250794.pdf
    Last edited by HuntCamp'r; January 21st, 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

That's funny because I hunt in WMU 61 and have a cottage in WMU 60. Haven't seen many bears around either area. Our camp is 1100 acres and we didn't see any bears this year. Last year there were a couple of sightings including one that was 10yds. behind me while on the stand.

If you really want bears go to the areas where they opened the hunt or talk to Woody if you don't mind travelling to White River. He has a buddy who is an outfitter.

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    What is any different in the fall? Anyone who shoots a bear with cubs is pathetic.
    But in just a few months from being a cub with a Disney channel name it becomes a legal bear. But at least they have the summer months to be prayed upon by the boars. Is it also pathetic to harvest calf moose and fawns? If cutting down the population is what they want, in my opinion just taking out the trophies does not get the job done.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Here is how the MNR will bring the full hunt back in the spring.

The 2 year study will show that not many bears were shot but problem bears were still an issue. ( No one will hunt them around towns )
    Not many northerners hunt bears anyway to do much to the population growth that we have.
    The next step will be opening more areas to residents and then after that we will get the full hunt back in most of Ontario along with non residents.
    This is how it will happen I suspect.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Are the dates going to be May 1 - June 15th?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12