Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2-5lb Venison Roast--->Slowcooker Recipe

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Cheers Hoggie and to this thread

Couple weeks ago I was going to do(and did) some oven ribs for first time... Usually do them up north and finish them on a charcoal grill, if it ain't got wood, it's no good!

Anyways forgot the liquid smoke, but after reading this thread yesterday, made sure it was on my list today... Doing some oven ribs this weekend, see how they turn out with this smoke...

They had it at No frills supermarket...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by intothedeep View Post
    Cheers Hoggie and to this thread

Couple weeks ago I was going to do(and did) some oven ribs for first time... Usually do them up north and finish them on a charcoal grill, if it ain't got wood, it's no good!

Anyways forgot the liquid smoke, but after reading this thread yesterday, made sure it was on my list today... Doing some oven ribs this weekend, see how they turn out with this smoke...

They had it at No frills supermarket...
    Hey buds, thanks... It was so good I had to post it. OH ya ribs all the way! I recently did a couple racks a different way. It is such an easy way to do them....
    First I took a cajun seasoning rub and covered entire rack, set in pyrex dish with saran wrap....Leave in the fridge as long as possible
    Pre Heat oven to 320f
    Layed out tin foil and spayed with anti stick spray, put ribs on tin foil. Then brush on a bottle of PC hickory bbq sauce and of course add the hickory liquid smoke.
    Wrap tin foil around ribs and seal so no steam escapes.
    Cook for 6 or 7 hours, once done cut tin foil open and baste the crap out of them with the drippings.
    Then just broil them for 5 min to get that nice glaze.
    How do you do yours ?
    Cheers Ian
    Last edited by hoggie5692; February 18th, 2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal..."
    "Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    “You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” C.S. Lewis

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I want to try this recipe.. Just hesitant about the liquid smoke.. Does liquid smoke have any sembkence to real smoke? I don't want to find out it tastes like a meat free hamburger or something... Wonder I'd there's a way I could modify that recipe to work over real hickory.. ?
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoggie5692 View Post
    Hey buds, thanks... It was so good I had to post it. OH ya ribs all the way! I recently did a couple racks a different way. It such an easy way to do them....
    First I took a cajun seasoning rub and covered entire rack, set in pyrex dish with saran wrap....Leave in the fridge as long as possible
    Pre Heat oven to 320f
    Layed out tin foil and spayed with anti stick spray, put ribs on tin foil. Then brush on a bottle of PC hickory bbq sauce and of course add the hickory liquid smoke.
    Cook for 6 or 7 hours, once done cut tin foil open and baste the crap out of them with the drippings.
    How do you do yours ?
    Cheers Ian
    Are we talking venison ribs or pork ribs? If its pork ribs I use "meatheads Memphis dust" for a Rub (Google it). Get the komado going using royal oak lump and some apple.. Or mesquite wood chunks.. And I'll slow cook the ribs for about 5 hours.. At 225-250 The last 30 minutes will have the sauce slathered on... As for venison I haven't tried it yet.. Not sure how to cook venison ribs..

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Are we talking venison ribs or pork ribs? If its pork ribs I use "meatheads Memphis dust" for a Rub (Google it). Get the komado going using royal oak lump and some apple.. Or mesquite wood chunks.. And I'll slow cook the ribs for about 5 hours.. At 225-250 The last 30 minutes will have the sauce slathered on... As for venison I haven't tried it yet.. Not sure how to cook venison ribs..
    Hey Topher,
    Yes, I was talking about pork back ribs. I will look that rub up for sure. As for the hickery liquid smoke it's damn good stuff IMO... I don't have a smoker but in time I plan on getting one. I've never heard of anyone doing venison ribs, I don't think there would be enough fat to keep things juicy....but I don't know.\
    Cheers Ian
    "Do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal..."
    "Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    “You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” C.S. Lewis

User Info Menu

Hey Topher,
    Yes, I was talking about pork back ribs. I will look that rub up for sure. As for the hickery liquid smoke it's damn good stuff IMO... I don't have a smoker but in time I plan on getting one. I've never heard of anyone doing venison ribs, I don't think there would be enough fat to keep things juicy....but I don't know.\
    Cheers Ian
    That's what I thought about venison ribs.. I tried.. But with now fat, it won't render down properly.. Smokeing food required fat to work properly.. Check out the komado looker from Walmart.. Under $300 great entry level for smoking.. Far better than electric as electric doesn't allow for proper combustion compare to wood. Gas will work.. But tends to dry out meat.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hey buds, thanks... It was so good I had to post it. OH ya ribs all the way! I recently did a couple racks a different way. It is such an easy way to do them....
    Pre Heat oven to 320f
    How do you do yours ?
    Cheers Ian
    Mines pretty close;

Just started doing oven ribs, but:

dry rub: salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, sugar.

coat in rub and place in parchment paper and wrap around a few times to make a package... It's like wax paper and you buy it in the same section in the store, but it has no wax on it. Less waste and better for you than tin... Add a little liquid smoke, or a splash of beer/whisky to the package too.

Bake for 3.5 hrs at 275, then open up and yup I also use PC sauces, glaze and broil for 5 minutes.
    Haven't tried the sauce you mention, but I'll look out for it... PC has lots of good ones. Balsamic fig, Korean BBQ, regular BBQ, jerk spice....

up north;

Low boil in a pot with 1 beer, and 3 cups water with onion, garlic, spices, for 2 hrs, then add dry rub, and BBQ sauce and cook over charcoal for a couple minutes each side, mmmmm

was a good tip about the liquid smoke, I remembered it at the store!
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

User Info Menu

Try sweet baby rays sauce.. The original.. Prbly the beet sauce for pork and chicken

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I want to try this recipe.. Just hesitant about the liquid smoke.. Does liquid smoke have any sembkence to real smoke? I don't want to find out it tastes like a meat free hamburger or something... Wonder I'd there's a way I could modify that recipe to work over real hickory.. ?
    If you have a real charcoal grill or smoker, no comparison and I would use that... But if cooking indoors, it's good wood flavour.
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12