Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: ATV Clubs / Is There A Reason For Them

  1. #1
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default ATV Clubs / Is There A Reason For Them

    Just curious what everyone's thoughts on ATV clubs are...

    Personally I have no need or desire to be a member of an ATV club.
    For the most part they just hi jack snowmobile trails in the snowmobile's off season.
    I don't need a club to try and take my money so that I can drive my licensed and insured atv on crown land.


    Your thoughts?

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I would tend to agree with you but my guess is many Southern riders spend alot Of time on private property? I suppose if they can help out those riders it could have some value. I personally have no need at all for a club, I ride crown land exclusively.

  4. #3
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I think for the most part it is for people with similar interests to get together and share experiences, associate and have fun. Like hunting camps, Fish and game clubs, etc.

  5. #4
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I think clubs do more than take your money. They often maintain their own trails, sometimes they co-maintain with snowmobile clubs if the same trails are being used. They also promote the sport and encourage responsible use of the machines. There is also the social aspect that many enjoy - many clubs have rides scheduled through out the year that all can enjoy. As well, they usually promote local businesses for meals and accommodations. As a solo rider operating locally on crown land, you may not see the benefits of some of this.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Legally,in southern Ontario,there's precious little land to ride on. Most townships and Counties ban them from roads,outright. Farmers are loathe to allow them on their properties during the growing season for obvious reasons. That pretty well negates any use for an ATV "club" that governs a sport like the OFSC. ATV trails don't need to be "groomed",either,so,that would preclude any use for trail "fees" or quasi-judicial NGO's to collect them. Personally,I'd like to see all trail user fees banned. It should have never been allowed,in the first place.
    Socialism has an entrance and an exit. Vote your way in and shoot your way out.

  7. #6
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The club in Haliburton works very hard. They have had local laws changed, like being able to ride the rail trail from Haliburton to Fenlon Falls. They maintain bridges, clear trails, maintain signs, publish trail maps, organize beginer clinics, and promote the club and the trails. For the recreational rider they are great asset.
    I'm retired .... Fishing is my job
    Frogger

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
    The club in Haliburton works very hard. They have had local laws changed, like being able to ride the rail trail from Haliburton to Fenlon Falls. They maintain bridges, clear trails, maintain signs, publish trail maps, organize beginer clinics, and promote the club and the trails. For the recreational rider they are great asset.

    No doubt,as long as they don't restrict non-club members from using public trails. If people want to join and be members of the "club",pay membership fees for whatever reason,go nuts. Just don't force it on others that choose not to do so.
    Socialism has an entrance and an exit. Vote your way in and shoot your way out.

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    No doubt,as long as they don't restrict non-club members from using public trails. If people want to join and be members of the "club",pay membership fees for whatever reason,go nuts. Just don't force it on others that choose not to do so.
    That's where the OFSC jumps off the tracks. There are far too many trail Wardens who feel empowered to act like police. A couple of winters ago my buddy was trapping on land he owns and allows an OFSC trail on. A warden came along and gave him sheet and told him to get off the trail for not having a trail pass. Tried to scare him off with trespass laws and didn't believe he was the landowner. The irony is my buddy is an OPP officer and knows the laws far better than this wannabe. In the end he got tired of the guy and told him to get off his property or he would fire up his chainsaw and start dropping trees on the trail. Let's just say the local club apologized profusely but the only reason he didn't kick them all out is because his neighbor has a general store on the trail and benefits greatly from snowmobile traffic.

  10. #9
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Legally,in southern Ontario,there's precious little land to ride on. Most townships and Counties ban them from roads,outright. Farmers are loathe to allow them on their properties during the growing season for obvious reasons. That pretty well negates any use for an ATV "club" that governs a sport like the OFSC. ATV trails don't need to be "groomed",either,so,that would preclude any use for trail "fees" or quasi-judicial NGO's to collect them. Personally,I'd like to see all trail user fees banned. It should have never been allowed,in the first place.
    "ATV trails don't need to be groomed". Clean up fallen trees, signage, pick up of garbage left behind by others, keeping riders on trails and off adjoining private properties. I guess this gets done by itself! Or does everyone carry out these duties when they "tread lightly" through the bush? This is where user fees apply with the help of club members and volunteers. Not everyone goes out with there ATV mudd bogging and thrashing up the land. So as to banning these fees and no need for groomed trails, your comment doesn't make sense!
    Last edited by robster; January 18th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.

  11. #10
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
    The club in Haliburton works very hard. They have had local laws changed, like being able to ride the rail trail from Haliburton to Fenlon Falls. They maintain bridges, clear trails, maintain signs, publish trail maps, organize beginer clinics, and promote the club and the trails. For the recreational rider they are great asset.
    Can you elaborate on the bridge maintenance that is done. Did the ATV club build the bridge?

    Clear the trails... so do I when I come across a tree that fell across the trail. Should I be sending a invoice somewhere?

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •