Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch eggs

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Perch eggs

Hey,

Come ice fishing perch I have cut up a few perch afterwards with tons of eggs inside them. I feel bad, anyone have a good recipe or way of using these?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Deep fried. ::-)

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I know some folks up north that love eating pike eggs during the winter months, perch would be no different. They fried them in butter, salt and pepper.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I treat mine just like another filet, usually about the same size.

Just be careful not to break the sack if you can help it.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

cajun fish crisp... its really not to bad... kinda reminded me of pop rocks from my childhood haha

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I usually cook my perch in fish crisp so I just through the egg sacks in with that and fry em. I started eating them cause I felt a lil guilty wasting all those soon to be perch and they turned out pretty good. Even got a few buddies hooked on them now.
    I even use the bones and heads to make a stock for a spicy rum fish soup.
    Last edited by Back 2 basic; February 25th, 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

should not eat the eggs very highly contamanated

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mark270wsm View Post
    should not eat the eggs very highly contamanated
    Please elaborate.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Data collected by the Ministry of Environmentshow that organic contaminants are elevatedin fish eggs. Spawning Chinook Salmon, CohoSalmon, Brown Trout and Rainbow Troutwere collected from two rivers in Ontario
    to compare the contaminant levels in the skinless, boneless dorsal fillet versus the eggs.In most samples, PCBs and other organiccontaminants, such as DDT and mirex, wereelevated in the eggs, likely due to the fact
    that the eggs have a higher fat content. It isrecommended that you don’t eat eggs fromany fish species from the Great Lakes due topotentially elevated contaminant levels.

i know this is about the great lakes .but there is contaminates in all lakes so it would apply to all lakes

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Interesting,,thanks for the info. It may be an apples and oranges comparison aside from the great lakes.Salmon and trout are more fatty and oily than perch so I wonder if that would make a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast