Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone push for a lab?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Why does everyone push for a lab?

I saw the post asking about what of his top 3 dogs to get for waterfowl and almost everyone said he should forget his top 3 and get a lab.

I understand the hunting that they have done, but there are a lot of different water dogs and really good retrievers out there.

My question is, why does everyone push for a lab?

I will be getting a gun dog once we get our house, and I will be training it for waterfowl and I am leaning heavily to the toller. One of the main reasons is the fact that the breed standards on labs is no massive now, these dogs are almost the weight of the owners, they eat you out of house and home and flatten kids. Labs are notorious for being rammy, not that they mean to hurt anyone but they get really excited and if they bump a child the child is down.

Tollers are about 45lbs, they were specifically developed for hunting and should be no problem if you work with them like you should any dog.

So again, why get a lab? Is it just because of ease of finding one? Is this what you had before? You know a guy? I love the dogs, I would love a chocolate one myself but with the size of them if would make no sense at all.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Never seen a seeing Eye lab being rammy... They learn fairly easily..... Labs come in all sizes!... Search the lab out you want by looking at the gene pool...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

That is why I chose a springer this time around.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Why does everyone push for a lab?

People choose or recommend a Lab because they are a popular breed and more people have experience with them however popularity has its downfall lots of bad labs out there got to do your homework. Any thread asking about different breeds quickly goes south lots of
    non mainstream breeds are excellent hunting dogs it just takes more research and time.
    Last edited by trkyhntr21; January 25th, 2014 at 12:58 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

People will push the breeds they own
    "Do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal..."
    "Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    “You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” C.S. Lewis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trkyhntr21 View Post
    People choose or recommend a Lab because they are a popular breed and more people have experience with them however popularity has its downfall lots of bad labs out there got to do your homework. Any thread asking about different breeds quickly goes south lots of
    not mainstream breeds are excellent hunting dogs it just takes more research and time.
    Well put.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

People push for Labs for two reasons. First, lots of people have Labs and "do what I did" is a natural answer for various reasons. Second, Labs are popular for a reason, and the reason is they're good dogs. Nobody can say a Lab is a bad choice.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoggie5692 View Post
    People will push the breeds they own
    Of course they will but the people with experience working with many other breeds will be more closely read.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I will be getting a gun dog once we get our house, and I will be training it for waterfowl and I am leaning heavily to the toller. One of the main reasons is the fact that the breed standards on labs is no massive now, these dogs are almost the weight of the owners, they eat you out of house and home and flatten kids. Labs are notorious for being rammy, not that they mean to hurt anyone but they get really excited and if they bump a child the child is down.

Tollers are about 45lbs, they were specifically developed for hunting and should be no problem if you work with them like you should any dog.
    If "should" was wood, it would be balsa, and you could make one of those wind-up aeroplanes out of it and send ol' "should" augering in on a myth-busting mission. In other words, you need to dig a little deeper in research on both breeds you've cited before espousing such, er, hearsay.

Working Lab standards are hardly "massive" - and even if they were (which would be "courtesy of" the show fancy), the best field-bred retrievers in the greatest numbers to be had (answer your first question there?) are performance Labs. Like, you know, the 50-ish pound Labs that come home for however much dinner you choose to feed them

in return for their bringing home your dinner without being "rammy" about it.

MG

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Because if it's not a Lab,,,, it's just a dog!
    Speak out for Father's rights

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast