Thread: superworms

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default superworms

i recently went to the local pet store and bought some of these superworms. Just wondering if anyone else has ever used these for ice fishing and if they had any luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Looks like a wax worm or meal worm.
    Waxies, mealies and maggots are probably the most popular non-earthworm squirmy live bait. I used them all the time before they came out with the little gulp live baits.
    I haven't looked for a while but just after those little liquid filled jars (that leak all over the place) came out I started having a hard time finding the real thing.
    Don't get me wrong I've caught lots on the gulp but during a real tough bite I think wax worms, meal worms and maggots are tough to beat.
    Heeere fishy fishy fishy fishy! :fish:

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

i breed superworms as food for my reptiles. they dont do well once in the water dish so not sure how they would work as bait. my buddies piranha loves them tho.

the big ones can give ya a good pinch if your not expecting it
    :fish:Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught:fish:

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Are they actually called superworms?
    Are they different from waxies/ mealies?
    Heeere fishy fishy fishy fishy! :fish:

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

real name is zophobas morio

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

the worm is actually the larvae stage of the darkling beetle

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I tried them. They don't last long in the cold. I did manage to catch some small gills on them.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use them all the time, way more economical to buy them at $5/30 than $5 a dozen at the bait store. The'll keep in the fridge for months at a time as well. I think they work great I cleaned up on the crappie with them at Binbrook today.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I caught my first hard water rainbow years ago on a micro jig and a superworm, it was 24.00"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassboy19 View Post
    I use them all the time, way more economical to buy them at $5/30 than $5 a dozen at the bait store. The'll keep in the fridge for months at a time as well. I think they work great I cleaned up on the crappie with them at Binbrook today.
    you can't keep super worms I the fridges, but if your talking about meal worms you can. You just have to take em out every week or so to let them feed.

I use meal worms to catch Brookies were my brother lives( the only place I have ever actually been able to catch trout lol ). But have never used super worms for fishing. Have always wondered if they'd work.