Thread: Allergic to coyotes and wolves.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Allergic to coyotes and wolves.

I just recently decided to try my hand at predator hunting for some off season enjoyment. I purchased an Icotec GC300 predator caller and a motion decoy. My first day out I set up the caller and decoy about 100 yards to the right of my location. I first started with my cottontail mouth distress caller. About 5 minutes. About 10 minutes in I noticed two crows hovering my decoy. I turned on the crow distress function and within 2 minutes I had about 30 crows hovering the caller. I slacked off the volume and noticed the yote across the corn field in the woods. Once she got a visual on the decoy she started her approach. I took the shot from about 250 yards out. Got her In the gut. She walked about 50 yards and dropped. Not the shot I was looking for but turned out to be awesome because there was zero fur damage. Considering I wanted the animal for fur it was great. Once I got home and started the skinning and tanning process I noticed my allergies started acting up. I have a severe allergy to dogs and was wondering if anyone has experienced this or if you know if there will be a problem with my allergies if I decide to make clothing from the coyote fur. Does the tanning process remove the dander and the allergens from the pelt that I am allergic?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure it all comes out when you tan it, only one way to know for sure though

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Goosesniper,

This question might be better asked in the trapping forum. They are the folks who work with fur on a regular basis.

Dyth

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good idea D.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I am super allergic to Otter, I passed within 5 feet of one in a museum on Manitoulin. It hit me like a truck, right away problems breathing. That one in the museum was over 20 years tanned and stuffed.
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Woody. That's what I have been reading. Too bad though. Coyote fur is easy to tan and the fur is very nice. Have to find someone to take them now. The hunting of them is very fun.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The coyote didn't mind....lol. Nice set and shooting
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congrats on your success and sympathy for the allergies.
    Any "dander" should be gone after tanning if that's the only cause of allergy.