Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portaging Trip Plans

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I found this website: http://www.myccr.com . Its pretty informative. Lots of great tips and gear advice. Many of the canoe routes in Ontario are covered and discussed on the forums.

Great help.

Thanks guys

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Birdbuff you can start by wetting your beak with me in Algonquin for splake on trout opener. Three days weekend trip, easy 4hr portage.
    Well I ain't no movie star, but I can get behind anything

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The poker lakes route in muskoka is quite nice and pretty easy for a novice.fishin aint to bad either.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

OMG I love that canoe Rugger….

No joke on balance and comfort Rugger especially on longer portages…There are some I remember not fondly and I always made a point of good balance/comfort. If I couldn't control the canoe with just my fingertips and light pressure I wasn't happy.

The reason I mention gloves is it doesn't take much when portaging/camping to do any kind of damage to your hands, from cuts, scrapes, burns and blisters. You don't want to be miles from your takeout and long paddles with/against wind when your hands are screaming.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hwy 17 on the White River to Pukaswa Park on Lake Superior. Three to four days and the fishing is excellent. Check in with the Park first and you are good to go.
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Pick up one or two of Kevin Callan's books. They're an easy read, offer some trip suggestions, and have lots of information for portaging and equipment.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Some of those portages around Opeep are a tad difficult. Some of the larger rivers are clear sailing but portages between Opeep and Rice may not be well marked even though snowmachine traffic in the winter keeps them cleared.

Your biggest issue is when you decide to go. Late May might put you in the middle of blackfly season but water levels will be higher making fewer portages possible. If you delay your trip to mid summer then skeeters, deer and horse flies will drive you crazy.
    Mid to late August is the best time for cooler weather and the worst of the flies have died off. Water levels will be down though.
    Pickeral fishing is good as long as you have a basic knowledge about how to catch the critters. Unfortunately, slimers are also common.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

After alot of tripping experience I can tell you all of the advise above is excellent. Balancing is crucial for a somewhat comfortable portage. The other thing I need to say is "Portaging hurts..... it really hurts...... it can never not hurt ..... so buy into it and don't bother looking for the magic solution". The pain and discomfort becomes more tolerable the more you trip. It's the price you pay to be a tripper.
    Dan O.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mbhunter View Post
    Pick up one or two of Kevin Callan's books. They're an easy read, offer some trip suggestions, and have lots of information for portaging and equipment.
    X2 I relied on his books when getting back into interior tripping

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Here's a report on a trip I took my wife and kids on last summer:

http://www.oodmag.com/community/show...s-in-Pic-Heavy

This was a 4 day trip and involved 4 portages in and 4 portages out and lots of bass. I solo'd the entire trip as we had an odd number of people in our group. This trip could be made longer as there are numerous back lake extensions that could be added. It was entirely on crown land (fewer rules, no permits and free) and completely off the grid (no road access) after the first portage. We did not see a single person after the first portage until we got back. It starts in the Port Loring area and heads into the big chunk of crown between 11 and 69 and south of 522.

This would be a good trip to cut your teeth on. If interested shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by Species8472; February 12th, 2014 at 03:55 AM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast