Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New future field trial competitor

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tufts View Post
    Guess all this winter is finally getting on folks nerves.
    Leaving for Georgia next week. Burbon & Low Country food. Can't wait.
    Now...thats one lucky Dog!! You forgot to mention good ole' Blugrass Music too!....it goes with the Food and the Burbon....wish I was making that trip.
    "The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pointersrule View Post
    Bingo!! I will keep my 2 cents short on this as I know better nowadays to get involved in these topics..first off to the original poster.....to say that is a "well loaded" Pedigree is an understatement......the "goods" are definately there....is that a Gaurantee? Not a chance!! but you are off to a good start....have fun....thats the best advice I can give you.....now back to the "Breeding" topic.......Jakezilla pretty much summed it up in his quote above.......very few people know how many Dogs came in and out of that Kennel just to make a few "good ones" and sorry YD...to make a statement like that...that your Pup will be the foundation of YOUR Breeding program is very Bold....dont misunderstand me....I wish you (and the Pup) all the best and hope it does achieve what you desire......what I want to know (and Im sure all the others here).....what is your secret in you knowing right now that this Pup will be that good? I have 2 pretty "Good" Dogs right now.....well, one is good (Pointer B i t c h) and the other I would classify as exceptional (Setter Male).....the Pointer could use a very nice Male to enhance what she may lack.....she's 7 yrs old now....I still havent found one....my Setter is everything you would want in a Bird Dog, Field Trial Dog and Cover Dog......I have been at this a good part of 30 yrs or more.....I still dont think I have "good enough" product to start a Breeding program.....am I picky? You bet.....am I passionate about Gundogs? Yup!! Like someone mentioned earlier (I believe it was JZ)....not many have seen a truly "good Dog".....like Ugo said....we need better Dogs...not MORE Dogs.....I wish you all the success in the world in your Breeding program....sorry for NOT keeping it short
    Excellent advice put in an respectful manner.

Thank you

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
    Jakezilla, you make some great points. You would be describing me to-a-tee 25 years ago! Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now-and-again, but the downside of breeding is that even the best ,most, knowledgeable, studied, breeders can't make guarantees. That's when I realized that I could best serve my customers by aligning myself with the best sources of the various breeds where I could actually "see what you get" - with some element of consistency.
    My strength is in being able to see what I think will develop into a decent specimen however a breeder I am not.
    You would think that after all these years I might be equipped to do so. That isn't how it works. It is a studied unique science that requires a huge dedicated investment in $$$$$$ and time. There is also an element of breeding ala-Whele, that many folk would find unpalatable, yet who can argue the results?
    I recognize my strengths and will continue to develop them to my best ability. Breeding is not one of them. I wish more folk would leave it to the experienced/capable. We don't need MORE dogs. We need good/better dogs.
    You're not a breeder? I believe you picked this dog's parents.

Uplander's Contessa with Uplander's Little Lady ( both Sharon's dogs)
    Last edited by Sharon; February 5th, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

User Info Menu

I think Ugo also had something to do with this knucklehead!

Creekhavens' Simon Sez

"The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ohhhhhhh beauty style.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

"Recognizing" good breeding and being a dedicated breeder are diverse attributes. Sharon, you and Pointersrule don't have good dogs - you have exceptional dogs!!
    If I could be guaranteed of producing those dogs again, I would have already done it.
    Now, since I have beat myself up black and blue, I should be able to add that I personally picked a number of dogs from various breeds that have gone on to reasonable success. It's not THAT long of a list however the level of success is respectable.
    By-the-way, Sharon's "Tessa" was Ontario derby dog of the year, in case you didn't know. (Sharon is so humble.) That dog was not for the weak of heart!! She was something to behold in her younger days - a handful BUT talk about "take your breath away!"
    FYI - I did not breed her - Frank Ferrara did.
    Last edited by Ugo; February 5th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You bred Lady and she was Ontario Derby Dog of the Year. You saved Tessa from ...............And let's not forget Callie - unbelievable dog. I can still see you carrying her to the line....Still remember the day I beat you with George on a callback.

Uplanders Techni-Callie
    Last edited by Sharon; February 5th, 2014 at 08:16 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'd just like to remark that I've been missing Ugo's presence here. Long time no post. Nice to see you back, Ugo.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

User Info Menu

I dont think thats Callie in the last picture........I could be wrong.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Actually, that is not Callie - it's a dog named Catie. Not too much gets by you eh PR?
    The 2nd place dog is another dog I trained that belongs to a good friend named "Zeljko". That GSP also has his FDX, named "Case".
    By-the-way, Sharon's "George" (GSP) was the real deal and if horseback trials had continued, was destined to be our next open FTCH.....for sure. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.....I should write a song!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast