Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you use a 25-06 for Moose?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    The 6.5 has the ability to shoot heavier bullets that have fabulous sectional density so they penetrate more reliably. There is a significant jump from a 120g bullet to a 150 or 160 out of a Swede .
    A 140gr would be fine too, even a 120gr, they will kill. A lot has to be said about bullet design, they are a lot better now then years back, the partition bullet, barnes bullets, pretty much bullets that hold together rather than blow apart like the old days. If you shoot one with a 180gr 30-06 and you only get 90gr through due to the bullet fragmenting then a 90gr bullet into the same area and staying intact is almost the same thing.

I am not saying it is ideal, but with the right bullet the 25-06 is not horrible either.

With the 6.5mm I just looked up bullets and it seems as though Hornady does not make a 160gr anymore, I should track some down while they are still around, 215gr .311 bullets as well, just for future projects.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You have a .308, which is more than plenty for moose. I use a .17 HMR for coyote, My son uses a .270 for deer and Elk and my other son uses a .243 for elk and deer. Though a .243 is a bit light, under a hundred yards is ok I guess. There is more moose taken with a .303 than any other (maybe changed now) My daughter shot her first deer with a .303 at 268 yards. The deer dropped. If you really want a kill, then maybe a 444 marlin or a 45-70 gov would drop one. I carry one for Grizzly, lever action of course.

As far as tracking deer or any other I've only tracked a shot animal twice. I'm too lazy for that. All mine usually drop or only go about 10 yards. I also like to use a .3030 for deer. One shot one kill.
    Last edited by Blackwolf; February 4th, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

lots of time til opener wait and get what you want

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies guys! My Browning 308 X-Bolt is my go to gun for Moose for sure. I think I''ll be sticking to a 270 or a 6.5 x 55 as my back up. When told by the shop owner that a 25-06 is a moose gun I thought that was a little light. With a 270 or a 6.5 I can use as a back up and also hunt coyote too.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! My Browning 308 X-Bolt is my go to gun for Moose for sure. I think I''ll be sticking to a 270 or a 6.5 x 55 as my back up. When told by the shop owner that a 25-06 is a moose gun I thought that was a little light. With a 270 or a 6.5 I can use as a back up and also hunt coyote too.
    260 Remington is almost a 6.5x55mm but the bullet length on this has to be shorter, although a gun in this caliber is more available.
    Last edited by sawbill; February 7th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I meant it as a respect thing to the moose ....I feel it's our job to do what's best not what's possible...you could use a 22 as well but why would you ? As for archery, I hunt deer with a xbox...As a personal decision I choose not to Hunt moose with a bow as there are too many cripples....I know a gang that bow hunts in NFLD every year they are excellent shots but lose at least one moose per year outta 4 guys...so...I guess everybody is entitled to their own set of ethics...and I am not sitting in judgement just my opinion

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I don't know about bow hunting moose, but around here there are a lot of deer shot at with bows that don't get retrieved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerz521 View Post
    I meant it as a respect thing to the moose ....I feel it's our job to do what's best not what's possible...you could use a 22 as well but why would you ? As for archery, I hunt deer with a xbox...As a personal decision I choose not to Hunt moose with a bow as there are too many cripples....I know a gang that bow hunts in NFLD every year they are excellent shots but lose at least one moose per year outta 4 guys...so...I guess everybody is entitled to their own set of ethics...and I am not sitting in judgement just my opinion

If the guys wound one moose out of every four they are not good shots. Or if they are good shots they are poor hunters that can't get within a reasonable distance from their quarry. A moose double lunged with an arrow will usually double up faster than a whitetail hit in the same spot.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    If the guys wound one moose out of every four they are not good shots. Or if they are good shots they are poor hunters that can't get within a reasonable distance from their quarry. A moose double lunged with an arrow will usually double up faster than a whitetail hit in the same spot.
    I agree. If a group is wounding and not recovering 25% of the animals they shoot at then they are either taking unethical shots or not skilled enough to hunt yet. They should stick to foam targets.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

No. If you have a perfect shot, maybe. Only about a 0.05% chance of that. Stick with the .270 or .308 you already have. Bigger is better if you don't get a perfect broadside rib shot and have to angle through a shoulder, etc.
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast