Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you use a 25-06 for Moose?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The bush is super thick in NFLD the problem is a moose that even goes a couple hundred yards is super tough to find.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

As always, it's about shot placement. I use a 25-06 for long range coyotes, and deer. Based on the damage it does to a deer, it'll be fine on a moose. Just make a good shot.
    Now go blast something!!:thumbup:

Just starting out

User Info Menu

They use a guide so I'm not sure bout the tracking part

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PalmSauce View Post
    As always, it's about shot placement. I use a 25-06 for long range coyotes, and deer. Based on the damage it does to a deer, it'll be fine on a moose. Just make a good shot.
    Have you seen a moose? Been up close to one? Have any idea of the dimensions of the shoulder bones vs. a deer? How about body weight?

your analogy based on dimensions is basically the same as saying the round was good for a rabbit, it should be ok for deer.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    Have you seen a moose? Been up close to one? Have any idea of the dimensions of the shoulder bones vs. a deer? How about body weight?

your analogy based on dimensions is basically the same as saying the round was good for a rabbit, it should be ok for deer.
    Moose ribs are not made of steel, their lungs are not quarter-bore bullit proof. 243's kill elk and moose every year with great success. If you don't think a 25-06 is enough than how in hell do 30-30's kill moose, they are a pathetic performance round yet they kill moose dead as well. A 25-06 is a great round that is easier to shoot accuratly than super-uber magnums. Some hunters don't need to be super-kool and carry a mega canon to get the job done.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Hmmm. Who said anything about magnums, or mega cannons?

Not arguing that the 25-06 could do the job. There aren't a whole lit of moose hunters out there who take to the field with 25-06s. Care to disagree? There's another thread where the same argument is made for the .243. In the hands of a good shooter, sure they'll do the job. But not every shot presented is a perfect broadside, like on TV.

Why does the 30-30 take a lot of moose? Gee, you can shoot 170grain bullet with a 30-30, over a 120 with a 25-06. Everyone who likes to look at ballistics tables typically only look at ftlbs delivered, the big picture involves ballistic coefficient, and sectional density as well.

If you had a couple of guns in the safe, and were going for moose, are you going to grab the .243, the 25-06, or something a little stouter like a .270, .308, or a 30-06?

lets take it one further, walk into a mom and pop hardware store up North to buy the box of cartridges you left at home by mistake, you actually think you're going to see any 25-06 on the shelf?

Another poster postulated that if a round does well on coyotes, or deer, it should be fine for moose. Yes, friend. I've seen my share, even carved a couple, and while I know their ribs aren't steel, I also know their physiology enough to know what round I'd want in the field to put one down, even if it did glance off a shoulder.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The one thing that I do not like about 25-06 is the ridiculously LOUD bang that it makes every time you pull the trigger. I don't mind shooting a .308 or a 30-06 all day, but the 25-06 just plain bothers me!
    Now, poachers kill deer with .22 and they don't really care about how many they wound and lose.
    Imagine yourself being lucky enough to have a bull tag and even luckier to get a magnificent bull at 80 yards. Would you want to blow that golden opportunity by having a "not enough gun" in your hands?!
    Someone mentioned earlier to take a shotgun & slug for your back up. I second that advice.
    For varmint hunting in your area a .223 would be the best choice if you ask me.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    Why does the 30-30 take a lot of moose? Gee, you can shoot 170grain bullet with a 30-30, over a 120 with a 25-06. Everyone who likes to look at ballistics tables typically only look at ftlbs delivered, the big picture involves ballistic coefficient, and sectional density as well.

If you had a couple of guns in the safe, and were going for moose, are you going to grab the .243, the 25-06, or something a little stouter like a .270, .308, or a 30-06?
    The 130g 270win, 100g 243win have sectional density equal to a 165g 30 calibre, were do you think that puts a 25-06. A heavy bullit is not thee all, end all of killing. It needs speed as well. I would put a 170g 30-30 on the very bottom of my list because IMO it would limit me the most because of poor performance.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    The 130g 270win, 100g 243win have sectional density equal to a 165g 30 calibre, were do you think that puts a 25-06. A heavy bullit is not thee all, end all of killing. It needs speed as well. I would put a 170g 30-30 on the very bottom of my list because IMO it would limit me the most because of poor performance.
    Who ever told you a 170gr 30-30 was a poor performer? There are likely thousands and thousands of very dead moose who would choose to differ. My first question to you is have you ever killed a moose with a 25-06? And secondly how many moose have you actually killed?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Last edited by sawbill; February 7th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast