Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Blame Yourself! Opportunity is knocking. Hunters beat the Anti's!

  1. #31
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Selling of bear galls was legal for many, many years. Then in one year, Poof! it was illegal. Did someone suddenly have a brain PHart? Many in the MNR, OTA and HB Co., biologists included, were not for the change that made the sale illegal.
    We're talking public perception here overriding any logic....we lost the Spring Bear hunt due to the public outcry of Cubs being orphaned.....you think that in your wildest dreams you going to get the public to accept that the MNR is a dealer in Body parts for a foreign market for use as some 'Miracle Elixir' ?
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #32
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The importance of bear gall in Chinese traditional medicine can be found at this site. Many of the modern cures enjoyed today are derived from natural sources but chemically altered by the big pharmaceuticals for huge profits. Medicinal marijuana is a recent example hence the resistance by lobby groups to make it main stream.


    http://www.china.org.cn/video/2012-0...t_24679572.htm

  4. #33
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Bears are hunted for their fur first and then the meat takes second place. Claws, teeth and galls are an added bonus.
    Beaver are trapped for their furs, the meat is used for baits. Castor is sold for use in perfumes and that too is added bonus. Nobody shoots or traps beaver just for the castor.
    Its just too bad bears have this stigma of being shot for galls only but the entire issue developed from some protected/endangered breed of bear in Asia and the antis have been successful in selling the thought that all bears are endangered.
    You're absolutely right. Its all perception and the antis win that aspect every time.

  5. #34
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    We're talking public perception here overriding any logic....we lost the Spring Bear hunt due to the public outcry of Cubs being orphaned.....you think that in your wildest dreams you going to get the public to accept that the MNR is a dealer in Body parts for a foreign market for use as some 'Miracle Elixir' ?
    If you want logic you might need to think on this longer.How "logical" is it to waste a gallbladder which are worth their weight in gold
    and boost the black market price when supply and demand would be satisfied by selling galls legally harvested to meet that demand.
    Same as for ivory,the Chinese demand has and never will deminish,but governments are destroying stock plies of poached tusks.Again
    boosting demand which is meet by more illegally obtained tusks.Little info from the web:

    Price of products[edit]

    Raw bile can sell for as much as U.S.$24,000 a kilogram, approximately half the price of gold.[3]
    A report published in 2013 stated that a poacher in North America can usually get U.S.$100 to $150 for a gall bladder, but the organs can fetch U.S.$5,000 to $10,000 in the end-market once they are processed into a powder. The report also stated that the HSUS indicated a bear gall bladder can cost more than $3,000 in Asia.[20] A TRAFFIC report estimated that prices for whole gall bladders were as low as $51.11 (Myanmar) and as high as $2,000 (Hong Kong SAR). For gall bladder by the gram, the least expensive was $0.11 per gram (Thailand) and the highest was $109.70 per gram (Japan).[1]
    Pill prices ranged from as low as $0.38 per pill (Malaysia) to $3.83 per pill (Thailand).[1]


    I am sure we could convince any logical taxpayer in Ontario that a regulated auction putting on the block a previously wasted resource would be right.After all the money could go back into any government programme,my choice would be MNR to maybe buy them some extra gas for their patrol vehicles.The entire infra structure is already there for a check station set up the only missing part is using logic and political skill.For hunters in the north getting a 50% cut of a sold bladder its welcome cash.If your afraid cash
    might be to tempting as a reward any other reward could be used for turning in the gall.
    Last edited by Gilroy; February 16th, 2014 at 12:56 PM.

  6. #35
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The only thing wrong with having the government run this is that it will cost more to administer than the revenue it will generate.

  7. #36
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    The only thing wrong with having the government run this is that it will cost more to administer than the revenue it will generate.
    Well if that be the case they could have a private trusted organisation run it.I know the hats for hides is a little different but something on that model.Drop of your bear skin get a hat,drop off your dry gallbladders with your license number,report on kill,
    get your receipt and wait for your cash at end of auction.A auction for galls could be run alongside Fur Auctions as buyers would
    be the same,kill two birds with one stone.

  8. #37
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Drop of your bear skin get a hat,drop off your dry gallbladders with your license number,report on kill,
    get your receipt and wait for your cash at end of auction..
    In your doomed plan...since your NOT allowed to keep the gall bladder...you could not profit from it...same as deer.... you forfeit it..maybe get a free "Bile Badge" haha...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  9. #38
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    In your doomed plan...since your NOT allowed to keep the gall bladder...you could not profit from it...same as deer.... you forfeit it..maybe get a free "Bile Badge" haha...
    we all know you cant keep the gall bladder at present therefore you cant profit.
    Last edited by sawbill; February 16th, 2014 at 03:38 PM.

  10. #39
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Yes Mikey we all know you cant keep the gall bladder at present therefore you cant profit.You appear to have missed the point of my post,or are playing stupid,or are..never mind I nominate your for a Darwin award for your forward thinking and expansive replies.
    You don't do condescension well Gilroy...comes across as just childish.

    I understand your point full well, it's a half baked idea that for some reason you think has wheels. As I said earlier....it's all 'optics'...you'll never succeed in convincing the public to sanction the MNR/Government to sell organs from Hunter harvested bears on the open market. Even in China it's a divisive issue having Bears Farms supplying the bile.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  11. #40
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    You don't do condescension well Gilroy...comes across as just childish.

    I understand your point full well, it's a half baked idea that for some reason you think has wheels. As I said earlier....it's all 'optics'...you'll never succeed in convincing the public to sanction the MNR/Government to sell organs from Hunter harvested bears on the open market. Even in China it's a divisive issue having Bears Farms supplying the bile.
    You dont do logic very well either,we are on a thread about re instating the Spring Bear Hunt which is presently illegal and you are getting all excited about my suggestion to sort out the gallbladder issue which is also illegal.Do you have a stance on the OP.Is it also a half baked idea,nobody is going to convince the Government on anything if we sit in our collective hands be it bringing back the hunt or waste of a resource ie gallbladders.
    Last edited by Gilroy; February 17th, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •