Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Head shots, the only killing shot

  1. #41
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I tracked one deer that had its tongue shot off and left lots of bone splinters - never recovered it - probably tracked it a couple of miles.

    Re butchers - a poor comparison - they are either shooting a .22 at a range of about 4" or using a captive bolt pistol held up against the skull. And when I worked in a slaughterhouse, I have seen 3 beef that had been shot in the forehead and knocked to the floor, had their throats cut and then get up and walk around until they bleed out.

    Poultry are held in funnels or shackles upside down and have their throats cut.

    As far as the "...in all my years..." this is a real puzzler for me, because there are a few on the board here that claim years and years of experience but seem to be very limited in what they have seen...doesn't make sense.
    Loss and recovery or long recoveries should be your answer Werner. How many times does it come up every season where body shots have been taken and either the animal taking a long time to recover and sometimes not at all . You sure don't hear about that happening with head or neck shots other than in this thread and even that is a rarity . So yes your point doesn't make sense . Claiming that this shot is inhumane or anything else is beyond belief .

    TD

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #42
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    It's about as straw as they come.
    Ok Werner . I'll just blow my nose and continue to shoot straight and put them down . It seems to bother you that I have a larger arsenal in my resume ' of what shots to take . If your stuck on body shots , that's fine by me . I have that and two others namely the neck and head .

    TD

  4. #43
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    How many shooters are going to brag about shooting the jaw off a deer? And then never recovering it? A target the size of a small apple that moves quickly is a poor choice. I actually killed a cow moose a few years ago that had a nice clean bullet hole in her ear. The moose has about 3-4 times a bigger target yet someone who believes in head shots made a poor shot. Moose are bigger and slower. Luckily that moose just had a small hole in her ear and still had it's face.

  5. #44
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Ask anyone who tries head only shots for a while.They are a hair off and wound one on a graze.
    Take that same shot at a double lung and its a dead deer fast.
    Just my thoughts.From losing a head shot or two not perfect.Never a good double lung hit.Ever.

  6. #45
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 400bigbear View Post
    Ok Werner . I'll just blow my nose and continue to shoot straight and put them down . It seems to bother you that I have a larger arsenal in my resume ' of what shots to take . If your stuck on body shots , that's fine by me . I have that and two others namely the neck and head .

    TD
    Not stuck on body shots BB...I've shot deer in the head, neck, boiler room, front on, spine, texas heart...

    But I do know the difference in odds on making those shots and go for the lowest risk shot available.

    ...and I'm not hung up on a head/neck shot when a better target is available.

  7. #46
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post

    But I do know the difference in odds on making those shots and go for the lowest risk shot available.

    ...and I'm not hung up on a head/neck shot when a better target is available.
    sounds like your not a very confidant shooter..and I quote you from a previous thread..."why not take the easiest shot"

    There is no "better target" for a clean fast kill than a shot that drops a deer in it's tracks. If you choose to take the 'easier shot' that prolongs the death of the deer, be my guest, but don't make accusations that the shot I choose is wrong in any way, because it's not.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  8. #47
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 400bigbear View Post
    It's not straw man at all Werner or why not take the body ? Just because many pellets are flying it only takes one to penetrate the brain right . ? If you want to though go single projectile then what about bows . They make specific arrows even to decapitate turkeys or are you going to argue that too ? There is a reason for that .

    TD
    Turkeys have been proven to be literally "bullet proof" when body shot. That is why hunters are taught and encouraged to wait till their head and neck are extended and vulnerable.

    Past 20 yards, your pellets have very poor chances of killing a body shot tom. At most, they'll send him for a tumble and then he'll be in the bush and away so fast you don't even have a followup shot.
    Roosted ain't Roasted.

  9. #48
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Its the head shot guys that don't wont to track there game that,
    A, "Use the excuse that it didn't drop so they must have missed it" (To lazy to take the right shot and go find it) Then the rest of the really outdoors guys get a bad name when a land own, usually an anti, puts us in your ranks of unethical hunters after they find or see a deer with its jaw shot off or a head scare.
    Its about error factor.
    Dim light,,, more of a reason to put the bullet where it should go. Chest.
    Some people just wont get it, then complain about loosing it.
    As a hunter I cant wait to see the end of buck shot. Not because of everyone who uses it but because you cant fix the stupid!

  10. #49
    Past Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Closed before we have a repeat. Have a good weekend everyone - get out and enjoy the warmer temps and don't forget Family Fishing Weekend is this weekend - introduce someone to ice fishing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •