Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodcock Info

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Woodcock Info

Below is a link to the 2013 Woodcock population status.....quite a bit of good info....especially the Graphs that show the bag limits in the US starting from the early 1900's right up to present day...also, the Graphs that show the amount of hunters per given state and harvest/singing surveys....Woodcock should be back here in Ontario in a Month or so......not looking good for them down South....my fear is most got caught in these Ice storms and terrible weather that has plaqued most of the N American Continent....I hope Im wrong....the good news is that WC in parts of Ontario are on the increase and Ontario has the highest number in the singing Survey which indicates (scientifically) Ontario has the highest population of WC....enjoy the read. I have updated the post to reflect the 2013 pop status.....I didn't think it was available yet but some friends down south pointed me in the right direction.

http://woodcocklimited.org/wp-conten...Status2013.pdf
    Last edited by Pointersrule; February 17th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
    "The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

PR, I have a question. I hear of people working their dogs on WC in the spring and also heard mention of a license. What is the license, why do you need it, and where do you get it?
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Most bird dog owners train on Spring flight woodcock. Not sure what license you are talking about though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Most bird dog owners train on Spring flight woodcock. Not sure what license you are talking about though?
    Cass is talking about a "Dog Training Permit"....its actually used more for the MNR to know what and where you will be releasing Birds......take the info I give as my own opinion and observations.....our MNR makes things a royal P.I.A. so if you are not going to release birds for training and you are just going to run your dogs on returning flights of woodcock.......don't bother getting one ( I gave up years ago)...reason being? they wanted to know all the addresses I was going to train on...what day...time etc etc......I have many places I can decide to go......so, just be cautious when training(if you see nests...back out ASAP) and definitely DO NOT run your dogs during the nesting and rearing periods.......MId to end April right up until August. The training Permit has been streamlined now from what I hear so someone here may have more info on that....Sharon usually has all these Links.....hopefully she will chime in and give you better info.......of all the years I have been running dogs in the spring....I have never had a CO come and check me and when I did apply for permit...the Aurora Office also said same to me....that if I was not going to release any birds.....don't bother with one...so that's what I did.

Scroll down to page 8
    http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...ent/239841.pdf
    Last edited by Pointersrule; February 17th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
    "The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you are not releasing birds then there is no need for a training permit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    If you are not releasing birds then there is no need for a training permit.
    Technically...you do....click the link I posted above...scroll to page 8.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So (keep in mind I have no idea about woodcock or dog bird training) when do you guys train your dogs on these birds if you shouldn't bother them when they are breeding or caring (mid April-Aug.) for their young? Didn't think training dogs on wild game during a closed season was even allowed. Like I said I have no idea about this and just trying to understand it a bit better. Hope this snow goes away soon so we all can enjoy the spring (warmer weather) sooner than later.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

User Info Menu

You Train very early Spring.....last year we saw the first arrivals early March......WC will go to nest in April....by Mid April Im usually done......Grouse go to nest a little later.....so, its about a month long(depending if its an early or late spring)....all other training is done in fields with planted birds while the wild birds are nesting/rearing......that doesn't mean you shouldn't proceed with caution...there are other birds that do nest in fields........once Turkey season opens...the Dogs are not run and during the Hot days of summer...we run either early mornings or late evening in areas I know hold no Birds. By August (Mid) is when I start to condition the dogs and we start running again in open fields and bushlots......all birds are flying well by then. A WC will abandon a nest of eggs if bumped off more than once so keep that in mind......if |I start seeing nests...even early....training is done for me.....common sense goes a long way.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

To hunt migratory game birds in Ontario you must have a federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit and Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp AS WELL AS an Ontario licence to hunt small game. (This includes hunting with falconry birds and non-indigenous falconry birds.)

Ontario residents may buy a Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit and Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp at most post offices. Ontario residents may buy an Ontario licence to hunt small game over the Internet or from a participating licence issuer or ServiceOntario counter.

Migratory game birds are the responsibility of the federal government. Please refer to the federal Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations for open season dates, hunting districts, bag and possession limits, non-toxic shot requirements and the reporting of banded birds on Environment Canada's migratory birds website.

Additional useful information is available on Environment Canada's Enforcement website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10tiPXmI6s
    Last edited by Sharon; February 17th, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pointersrule View Post
    Technically...you do....click the link I posted above...scroll to page 8.
    I said it before - game laws are so complex, I don't know a single person who fully understands them all.
    I fully agree with PR - most people don't bother getting a permit for spring wc training.
    But since we're splitting hairs here... and if anyone really wants to sound smart while talking to a CO
    wc are federally regulated (same as ducks), so MNR cannot issue a permit to train on them, duh! They can on phez or grouse or rabbits.
    AS for disturbing nesting process, there's no law in ON or Canada AFAIK regulating this (there's in some of the US), so it's left to each person's own ethics.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast