Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been a While

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default It's Been a While

I've been busy lately and haven't been out shooting a lot, you know hunting and things! So I decided it was time to get out and see what I could come up with. This is a location I have visited on a few occasions which I loved the leading lines and layering going on, the problem was getting the right conditions. Sunrise and sunset were not happening due to it being in a small valley and not getting the nice light to create the feel I wanted.

I decided to head out on Saturday night with the moon out hoping that it would give the mood I wanted, with clear skies things were looking good, it was just a matter of waiting for the right conditions. I setup up a couple of compositions and finally settled on this one and waited for clouds to start forming to add interest in the sky as well as the Orion constellation to move in the position I wanted. Light pillars from distant city lights illuminating clouds

This is a single image capture
    Nikon D800e,
    Nikkor 24-70 2.8 @24mm
    ISO 400
    30sec F7.1
    No filter

hope you enjoy!

Last edited by Jim Davis; February 17th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very nice Jim...beautiful composition with the lighting....I'd like that as a painting on my wall !!
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We could compromise as a Photo on canvas ;-)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Wow, looks awesome...very cool
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well captured. How do you like the D800?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's a great shot Jim!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

dabam; From a resolution standpoint it's great, files are excellent. before this I had a D3x which was an excellent camera with a better form-factor (fit my hand better, larger integrated gripped body) The D800 does have issues during long exposure with funny noise related problems but you can use in camera noise reduction, and one issue I need to resolve is when using any manual focus lens, the focusing screen is off resulting in miss focusing, this can be fixed by shimming the screen. I also have the Nikon D4 which is a great camera and I prefer it over the D800 unless I need the extra resolution.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    We could compromise as a Photo on canvas ;-)
    I agree this image would look awesome on canvas. I love the moonlight and the direction of it really shows off the detail in the ground. Well done.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

very nice picture. love the contrast from the ground up to the sky!
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike and Bowj, I appreciate all comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast