Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Training

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Dog Training

I am sure it doesn't feel like it but training season will be here soon. What are everyone's training plans for their gundogs this summer? Anyone have any goals they would like to achieve by hunting season? Anyone have Navhda tests, hunt tests or trials planned?

I have a pointer and setter that will be turning 2 next month. They are pretty much broke and I will just be putting some polish on them this summer. The pointer is a already a pretty good retriever but I might FF her if I have the time. I also have a 10 month old pointer that I will start breaking this summer and I should have him STWSF by hunting season if all goes well. The hope is that my wife and I can get the 2 year old's qualified this spring so we can run them in the Grand National Grouse Championship when it comes to Michigan this fall. I doubt either of them can win it at such a young age but its the big show and I don't like to miss the opportunity when it is held close by.
    OFAH, CSSA, NFA

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Those are fine goals. I envy you. I remember being at that point with my girls too. Enjoy while you can ; life is short.
    Now with one waiting on TPLO , one 13, and my bum knee , my goal is to get us all out together enjoying the fields and woods regularly again , by the summer.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Dog Training

My plan is to have my dog broke by the end of the summer. I also plan to ff but not sure if I will get to that.
    Might be running NAVHDA UT in the fall depends how the summer goes I would like a shot at a VC title but that might be a few years away yet.
    Last edited by trkyhntr21; March 5th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What I need to do is FF my Brittany. He is steady to shot but on the retrieve he doesn't bring to hand. This about the only next step that I want to achieve. If we can get this done then I will run him in the FD level hunt tests.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

No such lofty goals here... My Britt needs to learn to point first and then flush this summer. He's a little backwards on that... He is a fantastic retriever on land and in water. But the point/flush thing needs work. If we can sort him out on that, we'll be happy!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

With the new pup it will be starting at square one to build the desire along with obedience. Once her second teeth are in I will send her for FF as I don't do it myself. The 2 10 yr olds will see limited testing this year. Would like to finish HRCH one Trip if her legs hold out.Charlie being Charlie will give me a run for my money at what every I decide to run with him. Chant needs a couple of passes for her UH so we may get around to that. I will continue to get my but kicked in AM and Open with her, just to finish one is the goal. In the Fall will work on the last passes for her MH.
    Depending on what the owner wants we will also work with the yellow pup I have here. She is eager to retrieve and very biddable so should be a nice pup to work with. Will make a good hunting and hunt test dog.
    The really big challenge will be getting myself in shape after this long dirty winter.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My 12 month old pointer needs bird , birds and more birds.I'm hoping to catch early spring woodcock and the balance of the summer will be planted and or game farms.I will try to limit my limited training ability and have the bird exposure do the training.I certainly will use the help from Spencer of Creek Haven, he will make sure Rookie is directed in the right path.I'm hoping some clubs will have some fun field trials,more bird exposure and of course meeting some new friends.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I just need to get my girl to come when not on line..
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

Elite Member

User Info Menu

My plan is to get together with a training group as much as work and the family will allow and hopefully run our first hunt test in August
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My job kept my dog from finishing JH last summer. This summer she'll finish the JH. At this point I am not sure if I'll bother with testing at the SH level, as she doesn't run well in the heat and the tests are in the summer months. But I hope to get her to that level by summer's end regardless. Lots of water work and blind retrieves. We need to do more steadying work with the gun, as she likes to run in at the shot.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast