Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: possible more walleye cuts for nipissing

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default possible more walleye cuts for nipissing

there was an article in the North Bay Nugget today about the limit going to 1 eye as early as this may....this sucks but more for the nets I guess.....I sure hope article is wrong

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

It was almost inevitable. Maybe it's just a rumor but the MNR has to protect the resource for native fishing first, everything else is secondary.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's going to be quite an impact on the local economy, bait dealers, hut rentals, restaurants etc.
    Who the heck is going to spend that kind of money for one pickerel?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing; but my take is that a one fish limit wouldn't make a difference to me personally. Most people can catch pickerel to eat regardless of where they live in Ontario or the great lakes states, no? For example, if I just wanted a freezer full, I would go to Erie or St.Clair. Driving to Nip to stay in a bungalow, catch numbers of fish, and get sh.tfaced with good friends would not depend on my keep limit. That's just me.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think locals far outnumber those renting huts. Check any landing on a Saturday or Sunday and its a steady stream of vehicles coming off at dark. Those are the guys who won't bother going out for one fish.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Gotta keep the unregulated native commercial fishery happy.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Last edited by sawbill; March 10th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

After giving this proposed change some thought, I like it.
    According to the article only one fish will be kept but it must be at least 46cm. That's over 18" in length and about twice the weight of two 40cm. fish (the current size limit).
    I think there is some brinkmanship being played out here because this new size limit has both the anglers and commercial harvesters chasing the same year classes of fish. A gill net can catch more fish than an angler but the anglers outnumber the gill nets by a large margin.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Maybe the idea is to close the "commercial" fishery in the long run, by saying the lake can no longer sustain it. Stats are easy to play with. Just saying... If the mnr is that smart

From a limit of 4 down to 1 in two years is pretty drastic. If they were able to stop the netting that happens on that lake it would bounce back big time and be a huge benefit to locals and the tourism industry and sport fishery.. Guaranteed most every landowner on the lake would be ecstatic.

One group even tried to get the size of their nets changed because they weren't catching enough fish of the year classes allowed. That there tells you all you need to know about the state of the fishery. It's pure greed. Even they don't care if they catch prime spawners so long as they can make money. Pretty sad.

Anyway, I hope it works out for the lake. Cheers

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast