Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314

Thread: A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Guys,

A quick response to Jaycee's comments (Post # 130):

1) Mourning Dove Season:

I am obviosly not attempting to take all the credit for the Mourning Dove season as you have alleged for the following reasons:

a) I credited Dr. S. Petrie for having made the suggestion to me.

b) I credited Dr. S. Petrie for his pledge of support for my proposal should I submit one.

c) I credited Long Point Waterfowl for having conducted a Public Opinion Survey.

d) I credited Dr. S. Petrie for having provided me with a copy of the Public Opinion Survey.

e) I credited the OFAH for having already prepared a "position statement" on such a season.

f) I credited the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) for having accepted my proposal.

I also have to give credit to another individual (Dean) who had previously questioned the CWS about a Mourning Dove season and who subsequently shared his original letter and the CWS response with me (you can read about this within the appropriate Mournimg Dove thread).

I also have to give credit to those individuals who submitted letters of support for my proposal after reading about it within the Hunt Ontario and LPWA "upland" and "waterfowl" forums.

However I have to question you about a few things that I do not understand:

a) I joined the OFAH in 1978 and I do not recall ever having read a news article, a feature article, a request for support, a petition or anything else regarding a Mourning Dove season until after I had submitted my Mourning Dove proposal in September of 2010 and the acceptance of it by the OWAC members in November of 2010. It was not until sometime in 2011 that I started to see any "news articles" within the Ontario Out Of Doors magazine about a possible Mourning Dove season. Do you know of anything that was published within the Ontario Out Of Doors magazine about a possible Mourning Dove season that predates my Mourning Dove proposal? If so please advise me.

b) I know of a few individuals who submitted letters of support (either by e-mail, fax or mail) as stated above but I am not aware of any campaign by the OFAH to have us submit letters of support for a Mourning Dove season ... do you? If so please advise me.

c) I recently received an e-mail from Dr. T. Quinney (Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) requesting support for the Spring Bear Hunt and I complied with his request by submitting a letter of support even though I have not, do not and will not hunt bears. In fact I will probably never go deer hunting again (have not been since the early 1990s). Was there ever such a request by the OFAH for letters of support for a Mourning Dove season? If so please advise me.

d) I do not know of any petitions (either paper or electronic) in support of a Mourning Dove season ... do you? If so please advise me.

Note: Dr. S. Petrie reviewed my Mourning Dove proposal before it was submitted and never questioned the wording of my proposal.

2) Trumpeter Swan Populations:

The Interior Trumpeter Swan Population includes the Ontario population but you do not seem to understand this fact.

Furthermore the five year Trumpeter Swan rangewide survey is conducted by the CWS and the USFWS during mid summer when most of the birds are in Canada.

The following is from The Trumpeter Swan Society web site:

The most recent rangewide survey conducted by the U.S. and Canada during summer 2010 found a total of 46,225 Trumpeter Swans in North America, including 34,249 adults and 11,976 cygnets.

The following may be of interest to you as well:

Total Trumpeter Swans found on the six previous rangewide surveys were: 1968 - 3,722; 1975 - 5,085; 1980 - 8,847; 1985 - 10,908; 1990 - 15,625; 1995 - 19,756; 2000 - 23,647; and 2005- 34,803.

Maybe this is why the CWS is moving forward with this proposal at this time.

3) Trumpeter Swan Coalition Group:

They will have an opportunity to present their concerns to the CWS during the Public Consultation Hearings that are required as per the Management Plan before any new Tundra Swan season is granted. You are a bit ahead of yourself at this point in time.

4) Woodland Caribou:

I am not in a position to discuss that topic. However I am not sure how that topic relates to Tundra Swans? Maybe you should start a thread about Woodland Caribou within a "Big Game" forum.

Thanks again to all of you for your interest.

Jerome

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314