Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .50 R.E.A.L Bullet Making

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Its my understanding the alox is all you need? There are some home based solutions I seen on gun nutz, lanolin, mineral spirits and some other stuff. I thought the alox was for that purpose. 1st week of April is supposed to be over 5C all week...ya. Double edge sword for me though, I have service all my equipment soon for business. Don't think I will be planting poles or deck holes before 3rd week of April earliest. Once the landscape season begins my time is pressed, except weekends.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

User Info Menu

From Gun Nutz pan lube recipe
    I have used the same simple recipe for years, and it seems to work on everything from black powder loads to full gas-checked smokeless loads.

1 pound paraffin
    1 bottle Vaseline
    1/2 bottle Lee Liquid Alox.

I'd love to try beeswax, but I haven't seen the need to switch anything in my own recipe, and it's cheap as dirt.

Should cut the smell down on the Alox, stunk up the house something bad yesterday.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Nice!!!

You said you ran them through a sizer? I thought they would be to size right from the mould?

HA

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntaway View Post
    You said you ran them through a sizer? I thought they would be to size right from the mould?
    I was wondering the same thing HA....I wouldn't have thought the need to size for ML use.

User Info Menu

I followed the book run and youtube video's as guide. Not sure if necessary and I haven't tried fit yet, I use the calipers to measure to base of grooves and it was .501 anf the bullets are .501 after resizing. Didn't check diameter before sizing, but feel confident. Once I sized them a shiny band appeared and each of the gas bands. Now I really wanna try them.... Still haven't found anymore info if I should be using bore butter or some other lube prior to firing. The Alox coating is consistent all over and it was super slippery when applied, dries a little tacky but not sticky. YT videos show the alox and torch testing and it does not burn off. Just check again with different heading and this from Cast boolits forum

ALOX is the lubricant (it is a petroleum product). It is used for anti-corrosion for it's ability to stick to the metal it is applied to. Bullet lube is a minor side use of the product (as far as the pig is concerned, bacon is a "side" product {may the Saints preserve me, but that is a bad pun} but for me I put it ahead of steak.

At any rate, E.H. Harrison, a member of the NRA Technical Staff in the sixties and seventies, discovered it's value as a bullet lubricant while doing a major study of the problem. The original Alox product was 2138F while the present Alox product being used for bullet lube is Alox 350 (2138F is no longer produced after ownership of Alox changed). Apparently, the "new" Alox is just as efficient a bullet lubricant as the "old".

Just starting out

User Info Menu

How accurate is your .45? Have you had a chance to hunt with it?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The reason they are called R.E.A.L. is;

R- Rifling
    E- Engaged
    A- AT
    L- Loading

IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO RUN THEM THROUGH A SIZING DIE.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    The reason they are called R.E.A.L. is;

R- Rifling
    E- Engaged
    A- AT
    L- Loading

IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO RUN THEM THROUGH A SIZING DIE.
    I was going to say that they are purposely over sized for that very reason. It will be interesting to see how well they shoot. Maybe take some that haven't been sized to use as a comparison.

HA

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

awesome pictures, i want to learn how to make my own ammunition.

User Info Menu

Well this weekend I will be out Sat/Sun and test the rounds. 3 Shot challenge and work up a good load for the 250's. GoldenLakePete sent me some 325 REAL's this week and will give them a go as well. Got lots of shooting to do, to catch up from the last month. Kitchen Reno, Wedding and funeral...time is running out...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast