Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock Suppliers in Canada / Importing from the US??

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Flintlock Suppliers in Canada / Importing from the US??

I've been looking for a retailer in Canada that offers flintlock rifles at a fair price. Seems there are very few out there and the prices are overly inflated compared to the South of the Border.

I may order something from the States. Sitting Fox has good reviews and their prices aren't bad. As flinters don't require a PAL I asked the RCMP what were the rules for bringing them across the border; this is what they provided back to me prior to making the purchase:

Thank you for your inquiry. In order to provide you with the correct classification, we ask that you please reply back with the following details on the EACH specific firearm in question:

*Make
    *Model
    *Action
    *Calibre/Gauge
    *Manufacturer
    *Magazine Capacity
    *Barrel Length

So far I haven't gone any further with the purchase, but its still on my bucket list. Anyone else have experience bringing guns back from the US?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

A friend of mine just brought a flintlock rifle back from the US - went straight through Customs with no trouble. Flintlock rifles are nt considered to be "firearms".
    Member of the National Firearms Association (NFA).

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenLakePete View Post
    A friend of mine just brought a flintlock rifle back from the US - went straight through Customs with no trouble. Flintlock rifles are nt considered to be "firearms".
    Good to know. I might get something shipped to a US Post Office in Ogdensburg and then go get it. Sitting Fox is looking better and better.

User Info Menu

EVEN flintlock pistols...please, please please. Was watching youtube and seen the .50 BP pistol...man that was cool
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I pulled this off the CBSA web site http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html :

Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals

When you arrive at the border, declare your firearm to the border services officer, provide any documents required (as listed below), and answer all questions truthfully. The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm, and may check to ensure that you have stored your firearm properly for transportation. The border services officer will also review your documents and may verify that the firearm you have matches the one described on the documents.
    If you have declared a firearm but cannot meet the import requirements, or you do not have the proper documents, the border services officer may allow you to export the firearm from Canada. At his or her discretion, the border services officer may detain the firearm, issue you a receipt and allow you a reasonable amount of time to present the correct documents to the CBSA.
    If you have not been truthful, or if the officer believes that you should not bring the firearm into Canada, we can detain it.
    If you did not declare the firearm, we will seize it, and you may face criminal charges.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Hope I am not hijacking this thread. My question is, do you need a PAL to import a Flinter????

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

My understanding is that Flintlocks would not require a PAL to import falling under the same rule as air rifles:

If the muzzle velocity of a weapon is 152.4 metres (500 ft.) per second or less or if the muzzle energy is 5.7 joules or less, the weapon may still, technically, be a firearm. However, owners of such weapons do not need a firearms licence, the weapons do not have to be registered, and owners do not need an authorization to transport such a weapon for importation purposes.

However, I suggest you call to confirm:

Canadian Firearms Program

Ottawa ON K1A 0R2
    Telephone:
    1-800-731-4000
    National Association for Search and Rescue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    EVEN flintlock pistols...please, please please. Was watching youtube and seen the .50 BP pistol...man that was cool
    Classed as nin-restricted
    Only if it was MADE BEFORE 1898. replicas do not count.
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...poudre-eng.htm
    Last edited by topher; March 27th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    My understanding is that Flintlocks would not require a PAL to import falling under the same rule as air rifles:

If the muzzle velocity of a weapon is 152.4 metres (500 ft.) per second or less or if the muzzle energy is 5.7 joules or less, the weapon may still, technically, be a firearm. However, owners of such weapons do not need a firearms licence, the weapons do not have to be registered, and owners do not need an authorization to transport such a weapon for importation purposes.

However, I suggest you call to confirm:

Ottawa ON K1A 0R2
    Telephone:
    1-800-731-4000
    Muzzle loader long rifle flint.match.wheel lock don't require a licnsw if made after.1989.. Before 1989 you can also include caps.
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Just order it and have it delivered to your house. No PAL required and no worries State side either. I've ordered a few direct from Lyman and have my eye on one from TVM http://www.avsia.com/tvm/ .

HA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast