Thread: this may sound dumb but....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default this may sound dumb but....

this may sound really dumb to the veteran guys who have been tying forever but I was wondering what the difference was between sewing thread and fly tying thread? they both seem to be fairly similar to me? any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't fly tie and not sure if this is right but I would think it would have to do with one deteriorating faster in the water than the other? I am sure someone that knows the answer will chime in.... Trout fishing soon I guess? Good luck
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Not much difference as long as you compare apples too apples. Difference comes in thickness and material. Dry flies are most sensitive as you want strong yet light and water repellant. Wet and streamers don't think it makes much of a difference.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Fly tying thread is finer than your typical sewing thread. Also, it is wound differently, which can make a difference. Uni thread is similar to sewing thread in how it's wound, but Danville is flat-wound which means that you can control how tight the wind is by spinning the bobbin. This makes a difference when you want a nice flat thread finish on the head of a streamer.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

thanks for clearing that haha its something ive been wondering about for awhile and planning to be out for opener fratri if doesn't still look like the artic out haha