Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Stoke Oil Question...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 2 Stoke Oil Question...

I have typically run what ever oil the marina sells me. I also have 2 stoke moto cross bikes and only run Belray H1R full synthetic racing oil. The H1R container states it is good for all 2 strokes, designed especially for Power Valve engines. I have a 86 Merc 18 HP outboard (with no power valve).
    I am curious if anyone has any reason why I should not run this oil in my outboard? I run 50:1 in both the outboard and the bikes. H1R is designed to run at 50:1. It does wonders for my moto cross bikes, and it would be nice to only stock one type of 2 stroke oil.
    Chime in and let me know what you think...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Marine oils have emulsifiers which protect the bearings from wear due to water.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Man that brings back memories, used that bel ray oil in my 2002CR 250 and it's a great oil, I don't think it would hurt to use it and marker if your bearings are getting water on them you got bigger problems than the oil your using!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

[QUOTE= marker if your bearings are getting water on them you got bigger problems than the oil your using![/QUOTE]
    thats what I was thinking.....
    I know that oils are designed for different temperatures, but air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled so I think that it would be fine to use the air cooled oil in a water cooled engine, but NOT vice versa....

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well if you go to the marine section under Bel Ray, the H1R oil is not listed there, that should give you the hint. Besides that, never heard of the stuff, I stick with the Amsoil that you can run up to 100:1.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Well if you go to the marine section under Bel Ray, the H1R oil is not listed there, that should give you the hint. Besides that, never heard of the stuff, I stick with the Amsoil that you can run up to 100:1.
    Are you an amsoil dealer by chance cause I read your responses to truck oil changes and we tended to disagree on the frequency of servicing on another board, belray has been around for years and is big in the off-road community, I have no doubt in my mind that amsoil is a good product but there are other oils that just as good and although they were the first to make a synthetic it does not mean they are the only choice, motul oils are also very good! Sorry to get off topic but just an observation.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

No, not a dealer, I've been using the stuff since 1979 in various cars, truck and other power equipment. Both my truck and car get a once a year change, along with a filter switch and add a litre to top up. I don't know jack squat about Bel Ray lubes, matter of fact I've never seen the product anywhere. Just one of those things I guess.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The belray oil is fine and will work with this 25 yr old motor. It's when the motors have direct injection that special oil is required.
    Follow me on Instagram at ONE_TRACC_MIND

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I'd be reluctant to use a two stroke oil that doesn't carry a marine grade.

TCW means "Two Cycle Water-cooled" -- any other oil is formulated for air-cooled engines which typically have higher combustion temps.

Your water-cooled outboard won't generate the heat required to burn it all off. Especially if you aren't running at WOT most of the time.

Excess unburned oil means more and faster carbon build-up on cylinder walls, piston crowns and transfer ports. Coked-up cylinders lead to sticky rings, lost compression, lost power and ultimately, catastrophic engine failure.

Spend the extra couple of bucks for the marine grade stuff. Period.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    The belray oil is fine and will work with this 25 yr old motor. It's when the motors have direct injection that special oil is required.
    No, see my post. It's actually during the entire cycle that the TC-W comes into play.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast