Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First decent bass of the year

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Private pond as stated, ok, but there are a lot of ponds on peoples properties that do not meet the requirements of "Private", duckduckgoose found the regs and this lays it out perfectly.

Tough though to take a picture and post it from a private pond with the way the MNR looks at things now. People are being charged for facebook posts and pictures put on the web, so just be careful and know the rules for the water body you are fishing.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nice Bass buddy. Never mind the know it all's. Enjoy your bass fishing on that PRIVITE POND.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input, I was unaware of all the specific regs regarding the definition of a private pond. That being said, I believe the body of water meets all those criteria. At any rate, it was not my intention to flaunt OOS fishing or encourage the breaking of MNR regulations.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justin.benji View Post
    Thanks for all the input, I was unaware of all the specific regs regarding the definition of a private pond. That being said, I believe the body of water meets all those criteria. At any rate, it was not my intention to flaunt OOS fishing or encourage the breaking of MNR regulations.
    All of the comments are more for you I think then for the board. Due to the nature of social media and the internet you want to be very careful of the process in which you do things. Taking a picture of an accidental catch is not a big deal in most cases, but people go out targeting fish then saying it was an accident, they want the recognition for the big fish, legal catch or not. It is like taking a picture of a buck before putting the tag on it, this is contrary to the rules of "immediately and at the kill site attach the game seal", people have been charged and pictures with no game seals on the bucks being used as evidence.

My dad has 2 private ponds, as defined by the regulations, it is fine to fish them and take pictures all you want, just be aware that it needs to be obvious that they are contained ponds.

Nice looking fish by the way.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well, the one other catch for private ponds:

If the pond meets all of the list above the fish must then come from a licenced aquaculture facility or a licenced commercial fish operation; they cannot be caught by sport-fishing and transferred to the pond.

They cannot be naturally reproducing their either.

Very, very few private ponds (outside of trout farms) meet all the criteria for unregulated 'private pond' fishing.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Just playing the devil's advocate here:

There is a golf course that has about 10 tiny ponds just loaded with largemouth averaging around 10 to 12 inches. I know the owners stocked it many years ago for their kids. They haven't stocked it since. Now their kids are grown up.

Do you think a CO is going to go on their property and tell them they can't fish for those OOS bass because they are reproducing?

(and the stocked fish were "probably not" licensed)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Just playing the devil's advocate here:

There is a golf course that has about 10 tiny ponds just loaded with largemouth averaging around 10 to 12 inches. I know the owners stocked it many years ago for their kids. They haven't stocked it since. Now their kids are grown up.

Do you think a CO is going to go on their property and tell them they can't fish for those OOS bass because they are reproducing?

(and the stocked fish were "probably not" licensed)
    Likely not - but that does not change the legality of it.

I can shoot deer/turkeys 24/7/365 a year up on my bushlot and if a CO doesn't do anything about that, does that make it okay?

You're getting into the "poaching is okay as long as you don't get caught" logic here.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Those golf course fish are "farmed fish". If a turkey farmer kills one of his turkeys during closed season is he a poacher? (and no, they aren't eating those bass).

You are comparing apples and oranges with that turkey example.

Like I said, just playing the devil's advocate. The law is the law.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Those golf course fish are "farmed fish". If a turkey farmer kills one of his turkeys during closed season is he a poacher? (and no, they aren't eating those bass).

You are comparing apples and oranges with that turkey example.

Like I said, just playing the devil's advocate. The law is the law.
    He is if his turkeys are wild turkeys - it's not apples and oranges - its the same comparision - wild bass on private property, wild turkey's on private property.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Well, the one other catch for private ponds:

If the pond meets all of the list above the fish must then come from a licenced aquaculture facility or a licenced commercial fish operation; they cannot be caught by sport-fishing and transferred to the pond.

They cannot be naturally reproducing their either.

Very, very few private ponds (outside of trout farms) meet all the criteria for unregulated 'private pond' fishing.
    And where did you finds this? When it comes to regs back it up with a link or at least a copy & paste quote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast