Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of Season fish (Bass Pike Trout or whatever you want)

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Out of Season fish (Bass Pike Trout or whatever you want)

After reading through most of the OOS Picture threads, I figured I would ask MNR directly, here is the answer they gave me :

Hello:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

If you catch a fish that is out of season or you have reached your catch limit for the day, you must release the fish immediately. By keeping the fish to take a picture, you're keeping the fish longer than needed and you can be charged for retaining the fish longer than required.

Release of Fish

12. A person, other than a person fishing under a commercial fishing licence, who catches a fish, other than an invasive fish, the retention or possession of which is prohibited by these Regulations shall
    immediately return the fish to the waters from which it was caught and, if the fish is alive, release it in a manner that causes the least harm to that fish.

Ontario Fishery Regulations, 2007

http://www.laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/re...r=SOR-2007-237

If you require further assistance please call the Natural Resources Information Centre at 1-800-667-1940.

Regards,

NRIC web reader - AC
    Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
    Natural Resources Information Centre
    300 Water Street
    Peterborough, ON K9J 3C7
    1-800-667-1940
    TTY: 1-866-686-6072
    Fax: 705-755-1677
    mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I thought that most experienced fishermen already knew the intent of the law, but apparently not.

Now if we could only do something about the people that think closed season means C&R is still okay.
    Last edited by werner.reiche; May 29th, 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Thanks for posting. I thought that most experienced fishermen already knew the intent of the law, but apparently not.
    Sometimes the law leaves too much room for interpretation.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Wheelerdude View Post
    Sometimes the law leaves too much room for interpretation.
    As it is written, yes, but the intent of it is pretty clear. One CO I ran into on the water was insistent that an OOS fish be released at the side of the boat - not even be brought on board to be unhooked.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Given how often this comes up and given the sensitive nature, it being technically illegal and these are OOD forums not private (Johnny Q)

Perhaps a sticky so that for future reference people (posters) will understand why posting them isn't a good idea or "allowed" and it's not rehashed every spring.. Just as pics of untagged game.

Just a thought

for what it's worth, even in the MNRs response they were careful with the wording. Choosing the word "could be" rather than "would be". There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. My guess sense it's in the devil details and a COs discretion. I personally won't. Too each his own. But as far as posting them goes, it is technically illegal to take them and thus...
    Last edited by JBen; May 29th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Given how often this comes up and given the sensitive nature, it being technically illegal and these are OOD forums not private (Johnny Q)

Perhaps a sticky so that for future reference people (posters) will understand why posting them isn't a good idea or "allowed" and it's not rehashed every spring.. Just as pics of untagged game.

Just a thought
    I started a thread just like that last week and drew enough flak that the thread got locked.
    Lots of people think closed season mean C&R and that being asked to follow the laws is an invasion of their right to have fun.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I started a thread just like that last week and drew enough flak that the thread got locked.
    Lots of people think closed season mean C&R and that being asked to follow the laws is an invasion of their right to have fun.
    That's exactly why I wanted everyone to see what the MNR says about it!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes release out of season fish but taking a quick picture of a fish before being released for the most part would be fine with me, just like driving a Km or two over the speed limit, is it against the law yes but will I get a speeding ticket, not likely.

Thanks for the post.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Yes release out of season fish but taking a quick picture of a fish before being released for the most part would be fine with me, just like driving a Km or two over the speed limit, is it against the law yes but will I get a speeding ticket, not likely.

Thanks for the post.
    Sort of like keeping an OOS fish now and then because your not likely to get caught...

So the whole issue around this for a lot of people centres around the 'not likely to get caught', not what is the law now?

If the COs had enough resources to police this - that might be fair enough - but as it is they don't - so fish and wildlife are at the mercy of hunters and fishermen who based their ethics on 'will I get caught', not what the law is - that's a sad situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast