Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHF

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default VHF

Looking to perhaps install a VHF radio in my boat.
    Is there a difference between a handheld unit or a permanently mounted unit. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, $200 or so.
    Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Whichever route you choose, please learn how to use it properly. Nothing worse than all the weekend warriors out there in their plastic boats talking nonsense and dumb MAYDAY calls when they run out of gas?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The hand held units don't work very far/well at all. The cheapest permanent mount VHF with an antenna would be better than most hand held ones IMO....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Handhelds are I believe 5 watt, a mounted radio with 8 foot antennae is I believe 25
    Eat Moose......12000 wolves can't be wrong!:moose:

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Legally you need a license to transmit on a VHF radio, you can listen all you want but if you want to talk you are required to have a radio operators license.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

The range is directly proportional to the height of the antennae, check out the West Marine paper catalogue it explains what the different Db's are applicable to the size of your boat (ie 3, 6, or 9)

Attachment 25789

I use a Uniden Solara fixed with DSC in my boat with the best antennae available, both were under $200. With that combo I can reach the Niagara bar from Bronte Harbour.

I also have a Standard Horizon handheld which works well, but the range is noticeably less, I keep this on my life jacket for emergencies.
    Last edited by Marker; June 13th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

User Info Menu

hand helds lack the power that a permant unit would put out

User Info Menu

Powers nice... BUT.... HEIGHT IS MIGHT the higher the antenna the longer the range.. (Does not mean a long antenna is better) Means a HIGHER antenna is better.. A 1/4 wave length (.25m) will work just as good as a 2 meter long antenna assuming height is equal. A 3m long antenna won't work as well as a .25m or a 2m...
    I talk to my friend in Richmond hill from my place just south if Bradford.. We both use handhelds (paid $49) for.. And can hear and understand each other clearly..
    (Aproximatly 50km)
    Last edited by topher; June 20th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I was just off Burlington, not a plastic boat, but a rubber one, using a hand held I could reach Prescott Coast Guard radio. I had a fixed mount years ago, but when it packed in, I went hand held. Easier to keep dry in an inflatable! But if I was still using it as much as I did 20 years back, I'd go fixed, still have the antenna mounted on the boat, but these days it's just a mast for the flag.
    Speak out for Father's rights

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorgan View Post
    Legally you need a license to transmit on a VHF radio, you can listen all you want but if you want to talk you are required to have a radio operators license.
    My power and sail handbook says legally- to power on is to operate. Requires license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast