Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 Shot for Ducks

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default #4 Shot for Ducks

I use #2 & 3's in 3" but was wondering if anyone uses #4 or ducks. I picked up a box of #4 3" xperts and patterned them this eve through my factory IC at 28 yds and for the heck of it at 43 yds with a Kicks mod. The 1st shot through the IC was at a big sheet of cardboard with a duck drawn on it and it was very very dead duck. The shot through the kicks was at a 8" x 10" sheet of paper taped to a sheet of cardboard and there were 26 hits on the 8" x 10" sheet. Not benched just raised the gun and fired like in a hunting situation. The pellet count is definitely there just looking for some feedback on effective range.
    "The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I've had great success with 3" Kent Fasteel and Federal Black Cloud # 4s in the early part of the season.

***EDIT*** should have said what Sinker & Sprite said about the late season......early season only for me then #2s.
    Last edited by Redsoilreaper; June 18th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sure, #4's will kill em dead if they're close, but penetration lacks at longer ranges. For smaller ducks, or close range, 4's are deadly. Big late season divers or mallards better be close though, those little pellets dont have much penetration on a fully plumed, fattened up duck with all its feathers.

S.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I like shooting #3s or 4s in the early part of the season when birds are dumb, and there's lots of Teal and Wood Ducks around. Later on in the season I switch to #1s for divers and puddlers, and don't look back!

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I always have a few #4 shot to use for water-slappers ... the density of the patterns are good for chasing down and killing the cripples that are doing their submarine impression with only the top of the head out of the water. I almost never use them for air shots ... the birds need to be small or close, and if they are close they end up looking like pin cushions ... too many holes when they are hit in the chest.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

As others have said keep'm close, I use #4s in Sept and early Oct as I do alot of creek and pond hunting for teal and woodies
    "I may not have gone where I was supposed to go, but I ended up where I was supposed to be"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I may just give them a try this season. I shoot a lot of Woodies early season at no more than 30 yds so I thought it would make a great load.
    I've read on some of the US duck hunting forums that #4's take mallards out to 40 yds easily. Personally I prefer 2's for late season mallards and black ducks.
    "The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly."

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I no longer use 4's. I use 3" #3 until late Oct then switch to 2's for decoying birds and 1's when pass shooting divers.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

use them for doves

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Sure, #4's will kill em dead if they're close, but penetration lacks at longer ranges. For smaller ducks, or close range, 4's are deadly. Big late season divers or mallards better be close though, those little pellets dont have much penetration on a fully plumed, fattened up duck with all its feathers.

S.
    Agree with all of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast